I need advice

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Oscarsson

I need advice

Post by Oscarsson »

I have a kind of a problem. I have searched the forum on what is written about chucks, but I can not decide for which chuck I should buy. I have seen the Nova g3, supernova 2, oneway basic chuck. The one with the two tommy bars. It there any pro and con about this? The last one is the new Record Power sc4. It is almost like the supernova chuck from what I have read. But with a higher quality apparentley. The homemade did not work that great. And I have an independant 4 jaw chuck, but is 12 " in diameter and heavy and it is bothersome to keep changing from the 3 jaw and 4 jaw. And vice versa. So I am seeking your advice guys. I hope I have written good enough english. It is not my native language :lol:

Sent fra min SM-G925F via Tapatalk
wdteipen

Re: I need advice

Post by wdteipen »

I have a Oneway Talon and two Nova g3's that I purchased early on. Either one works for small projects but neither works well for turning briar blocks. Of the two, the Oneway is a slightly better chuck. Larger, heavy chucks typically work better for most things. And, there's no substitute for a chuck made specifically for turning briar.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I've got a Oneway with a set of Steve (Smokingdawg)'s aluminum jaws. It's a great setup if you don't feel like dropping close to half a grand on a dedicated chuck.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Oscarsson »

Which oneway chuck do you have? I have noticed that they do not have a closed back. Is that a problem?
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Just the Talon (the little one). The open back hasn't given me any trouble in the three years I've been using it.
Ryan Richardson

Post by sandahlpipe »

I had the same jaws from Steve till I upgraded to a dedicated briar chuck. The aluminum has more flex than steel, so it was worth it for me to have the extra bit of precision from the steel jaws. The smokingdawg briar jaws do a great job, though. And it's a much more affordable option.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

Yes top on the list would be the 2 jaw with is special jaw, but for now it is too expensive. So for now I am planning to have wood turning chuck with tower jaws and make a pin on them so it would be easier to line up the stummel. I hope.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

In order for the pin thing to work, you really need longer jaws than just the tower jaws or Steve's aluminum jaws. Also, the concave surfaces of the tower jaws won't allow you the same gripping strength and freedom to chuck oddly shaped blocks the way Steve's will. My advice is to go with the custom aluminum jaws for stummels and maybe spigot jaws for rod stock.
Ryan Richardson

Post by oklahoma red »

Consider the Australian-made Vicmarc. I use one one my Delta Midi lathe. High-quality chuck. They use a "T" hex wrench to operate the scroll. Tower jaws are a must.
For my metal lathe, I have a Batson/Cortner and a Ken Lamb. Both are direct-thread for my old Logan lathe. I have an adapter so that I can use the Lamb on my Delta if so desired. The Batson/Cortner has too much rotating mass for the Delta lathe.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Any 4jaw will work preferably a universal,steel tower jaws are almost a must
The above mentioned chucks are excellent choices and are fairly priced Its just
Not an area you want to skimp on. Also you don't want to go lower than 4" on the diameter
Of the Chuck preferably 5"
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Ratimus wrote:I've got a Oneway with a set of Steve (Smokingdawg)'s aluminum jaws. It's a great setup if you don't feel like dropping close to half a grand on a dedicated chuck.
I would have to agree!

I have the exact same setup Oneway Talon with Smokingdawg jaws for my briar chuck. I have had great success and vastly improved drilling accuracy since I began using this setup. The Smokingdawg jaws will fit a few different chucks, but the Oneway chuck expanded wide enough for me to drill larger briar blocks. This setup was the affordable option for me at the time, and I can say that I have been very satisfied.
R.Branigan Pipes
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

I have narrowed it down to the oneway chuck basic or the record power sc4. Anyone who has the oneway or have tried it? Is it difficult tightning with the two tommy bars?
The talon and strong chuck is over my little budget.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I used a oneway for years with only the small jaws it comes with. It grabs so tightly it wasn't a problem.

It is not hard to use the bars. If this chuck is in your budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Tyler wrote:I used a oneway for years with only the small jaws it comes with. It grabs so tightly it wasn't a problem.

It is not hard to use the bars. If this chuck is in your budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
I STILL use the original Oneway with the #2 Tower Jaws. Every time I think about upgrading I find other things to spend my money on. I agree with Tyler, you can clamp down so tight on a briar block there is NO problems with wiggle at all. After all, the chuck is made to hold large pieces of wood spinning at high RPMs. A small briar block is not a problem at all.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
linearone

Post by linearone »

Speaking of smokindawgs jaws, has anyone got a way of contacting him? I pm'd him yesterday but i emailed him over a week ago. Really like his jaws and im just dying to get a set made.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

if you dont reach him directly, pm me I have some of his jaws for sale