Counterbore vs reamer question

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
MmmPeace

Counterbore vs reamer question

Post by MmmPeace »

Hey, guys. I am officially making the switch from pen turner to pipe maker. I am ordering all of my new tools today but had one question which I hope somebody on here can help to answer. Heads up, it is probably a dumb question... One of the tools recommended to me was a fuller counterbore, I believe this is to square the shank as well as drill the mortise. As a pen turner I have a pen reamer, which looks very similar, my question is this: is the pen reamer the same? (different size but same tool) I have attached pictures of my current tool - the pen reamer, and the tool I may need to purchase- fuller counterbore. I apologize if this is as dumb a question as I believe it to be, but I don't want to buy a tool I don't need or already have... Thank you so much for any and all feedback!

I have also attached a link to the pen reamer tool, much easier to see... https://www.woodcraft.com/products/whit ... n-mill-set

[img]
counterbore.jpg
(185.07 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
[/img]
DocAitch

Re: Counterbore vs reamer question

Post by DocAitch »

I have used the Fuller counter bore to cut both the mortise and the shank face simultaneously, and it worked OK, but the face diameter is limited by those ears on the cutter (which can be ground off). I used my drill press and also tried the "Freehand" drilling technique that Scott Thile wrote of in Pipedia.
I have gone to drilling the mortise, changing the 5/16" to a regular counter bore (from Enco)with a plain 5/16" pilot and cutting the shank face with that. (Still on the drill press).
The Fuller counterbore is now in the pile of unused tools.
If you are cutting the mortise and face on a lathe with the blocked fixed in the chuck, you can just bore the mortise with a bit and face with a cutting tool.
DocAitch
Last edited by DocAitch on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks, Doc. I could face with a forstner bit as well yes? Or with the reamer as that is what it's purpose is...
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

If your reamer is of the proper diameter, yes, and if the Forstner bit is properly sharp,yes. If it is dull, you will get some tearout of the shank face which doesn't look right and is somewhat difficult to correct.
Depends on what you are using to cut (metal lathe, wood lathe, or drill press)
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thank you very much for the help Doc, I really appreciate it.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I do fine without my counterbore. I used it for a few pipes starting out and quickly changed to a forstner bit and then plain lathe tools.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks, Sandahl. I have learned a lot from your comments on this forum and I greatly appreciate your input as well!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The thing to remember is that no matter what tool/method is being utilized you will get superior results with tools that are scary-sharp. Lesson number one in any cutting endeavor (be it wood or metal) is to learn how to sharpen your cutting tools and keep them that way.