Concern for weight on headstock spindle

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
FrJacob

Concern for weight on headstock spindle

Post by FrJacob »

I've just moved from a JET 1014 to a JET 9X20. I have Tim West's aluminum arbor and shaping disk, plus a pretty stout adapter his father-in-law Jim made for me (which was by itself, quite an investment). The 2" long steel adapter went onto the 1014's 1x8 spindle, which takes the Jacob's chuck, which grips the arbor, which the disk goes onto. The total length of this arrangement is 9" and weighs at least 2.6#.

The 9x20 has a 1-1/2 x 8 spindle. A 1-1/2 x 8 tpi headstock spindle adapter would allow me to continue to use my previous arrangement inexpensively. At this point though I'm kind of worried about the turning weight at that distance from the headstock of my brand new 9x20. Then there's the pressure and movement I put on the disk while shaping.

My bright idea is that maybe the steady rest that comes with the 9x20 is my solution? Surely it can handle the 1-1/2" diameter of the aluminum arbor? [I say this as, while I've sold my 1014, the 9x20 hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know that].

The alternative, I guess is a motor and VFD, although I'm tempted to think about just using my HF Router Speed Control with the motor, just because I'm cheap (i.e., financially challenged after the 9x20).

Thoughts? If so, thanks for them!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to put in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis [False assumption: one never speaks with a pipe in his mouth].
smokindawg

Re: Concern for weight on headstock spindle

Post by smokindawg »

I think that the head stock on the Jet should be more than robust enough too handle it bearing wise........... But, the more pressure you put on the assembly at that distance the more you have to worry about problems over time I would think.

If it were me the last thing I'd want to do is use a sanding/shaping disc on a new metal lathe. If it were me, I'd go with the separate motor for the shaping disc. It will be much better having it so that you don't have to be constantly changing/moving items to do each step of pipe making.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
DocAitch

Re: Concern for weight on headstock spindle

Post by DocAitch »

I find that a 1725 rpm salvaged sump pump motor works fine for running a shaping disc. (With a $7 adapter and screwon Jacobs chuck)
Variable speed for the French wheel makes more sense, but I get by with a cheap 3450 rpm 1/3rd hp motor.
Sanding on the lathe will inevitably throw grit onto the ways, and you would have to be very careful with that.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy