What Is A Band Tool?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
shikano53

What Is A Band Tool?

Post by shikano53 »

I was thinking of perhaps eventually looking at buying a few bands and I found something called a band tool on the VFH website. Could someone tell me how it works? Is it necessary to mount bands onto a shank?
Thanks folks
caskwith

Re: What Is A Band Tool?

Post by caskwith »

I believe it is used to stretch bands to size so you can adjust them for repairs.
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Chris, that helps but I am still curious how it works.
P.S. I've had your website book marked for a couple of years now!
Love your work.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The pegs are to keep the mortise/shank aligned while applying downward pressure, and the cup is to burnish the sharp edge of a trimmed-off band.

Neither step/method is recommended. Mortises come in too many sizes, and burnishing is uneven unless the shank is dead-round, which is almost never the case.

Enlarging bands involves something called "chasing", and requires task-specific hardened mandrels and polished hammers.

Repair banding is the simplest of concepts, but EXTREMELY difficult to do well. If you want something decorative on a new pipe, use parallel-sided tubing, and slip fit / flush mount it inlay-style. You'll be glad you did. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That makes a lot more sense George.
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

thanks for the explanation George and the heads up on what to use instead.