Help with arbor adapter or backing disc for buffer motor?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Bluesytone

Help with arbor adapter or backing disc for buffer motor?

Post by Bluesytone »

I've got a 1x30 belt sander but I also have a bench buffer sitting here unused with two buffing wheels that I want to convert to use for french wheel / disc use. I already have a 3 on beal system for my lathe so the benchtop buffer needs a job. The buffer is a 3450 rpm and has a 1/2" in arbor on it but all the backing discs that I can find are 5/8" and google hasn't helped me much in locating an adapter. Does anyone have thoughts on best route forward to stick a disc on this thing so it doesn't feel so useless?
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
sandahlpipe

Re: Help with arbor adapter or backing disc for buffer motor

Post by sandahlpipe »

I may even have an extra adapter sitting around somewhere. I believe I got it from Kurt Huhn a while ago with the arbor I bought. You may try reaching out to Steve Norse at Vermont Freehand. He may stock an arbor adapter.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

sandahlpipe wrote:I may even have an extra adapter sitting around somewhere. I believe I got it from Kurt Huhn a while ago with the arbor I bought. You may try reaching out to Steve Norse at Vermont Freehand. He may stock an arbor adapter.
Tnanks for the reply. I will check with Steve. Is there any problem with running a sanding disc at 3450? I'm guessing that is probably what might belt sander is running at. I run my buffing pads on my lathe much slower.
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

Ha, turns out I may not be too smart. After some more research it looks like the Beall Mandrel adapter can go from 5/8 to 1/2 and then I can just mount the sanding disc in that.
RickB

Post by RickB »

Bluesytone wrote:Is there any problem with running a sanding disc at 3450? I'm guessing that is probably what might belt sander is running at.
I think most people actually prefer to run the 36 grit discs at 3000-3500 RPM - it sort of settles in and bounces the work off less.
Also very effectively vaporizes briar, ebonite, fingernails, etc.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

RickB wrote:
Bluesytone wrote:Is there any problem with running a sanding disc at 3450? I'm guessing that is probably what might belt sander is running at.
I think most people actually prefer to run the 36 grit discs at 3000-3500 RPM - it sort of settles in and bounces the work off less.
Also very effectively vaporizes briar, ebonite, fingernails, etc.
Probably need some knuckle protectors :idea:
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I run my 36 and my fine french wheel both off 1750 motors. The 36 grit is on a VFD. I could go faster, I suppose, but now I'm used to how it works. More important is that the torque will allow me to press the block into the motor without slowing it down. FWIW, motors that run around 1800 generally have 5/8" shafts in the sub 1 hp range and the ones that run around 3600 have 1/2" shafts. The 3600 motors make up in speed what they lack in torque.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I use a Jacobs chuck on a 20thread per inch 1/2” arbor on a 1/2 hp motor at 3600 rpm. The disc is a Kolbalt orbital sander disc with a threaded shaft that I simply chuck into the Jacobs.
As Jeremiah says, it’s what you get used to.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy