Compressor maintenance

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Charl

Compressor maintenance

Post by Charl »

I saw the other day that according to the manual, I need to drain my compressor daily.
Is that really necessary?
What do you actually need to do routinely, to keep it in good shape?
caskwith

Re: Compressor maintenance

Post by caskwith »

I drain mine after every use. I had a 1/4 turn valve on the bottom of the tank, after I have finished blasting I open it up while the tank is still full pressure, the rush of air coming out pushes all the water out and dries the tank too so the water is never rusty and I assume the tank is still pretty rust free inside.

Be warned, this method is messy.
Massis

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote:I drain mine after every use. I had a 1/4 turn valve on the bottom of the tank, after I have finished blasting I open it up while the tank is still full pressure, the rush of air coming out pushes all the water out and dries the tank too so the water is never rusty and I assume the tank is still pretty rust free inside.

It helps if you hold a rag around it to absorb the water for the first few seconds. Seeing as the valve is normally located at the lowest point, you shouldn't have to worry about water remaining due to less pressure or anything.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks, gents!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Massis wrote:
caskwith wrote:I drain mine after every use. I had a 1/4 turn valve on the bottom of the tank, after I have finished blasting I open it up while the tank is still full pressure, the rush of air coming out pushes all the water out and dries the tank too so the water is never rusty and I assume the tank is still pretty rust free inside.

It helps if you hold a rag around it to absorb the water for the first few seconds. Seeing as the valve is normally located at the lowest point, you shouldn't have to worry about water remaining due to less pressure or anything.
My compressor is near the door in the dirtiest corner of the shop, I don't care about the mess :D
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

If you are not already doing so, switch over to a synthetic compressor oil. Lasts a hell of a lot longer than regular oil.
You can also get an automatic drain for the condensate.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Drained it yesterday. The guy who sold it to me must have been a really clean guy, not even a drop came out.
But then it was spotless, I must say.
An automatic drain sounds like a good thing to me! :)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I am not so keen on the automatic drains, I have them on my water trap/filters and have had 2 go bad on me.