Dust collection Help

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Pillichody

Dust collection Help

Post by Pillichody »

I need to set up a inexpensive dust collection system. I am thinking of using a shop vac for now. I don't know what to use at the buffers and the sanding disks. And a home made slack belt sander. Please would any one post some pictures of those areas for collection. So I can figure out what I need or make. Also are there any shop vacs that are not to loud? Thank you.
dogcatcher

Re: Dust collection Help

Post by dogcatcher »

In my opinion there is no such thing as a quiet shop vac. Mounted outside of the work area is an option to reduce noise. One thing about shop vacs, fine dust clogs the filter. If using a shop vac add a cyclone fixture so that it will catch most of the chips. But also remember to clean the filter daily if not more often.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I use a shop vac with a cyclone type catcher in the line and a bag in the vac which catches particles that are missed in the cyclone. I have found that plastic cat litter cans make pretty fair collectors at the sanding wheels, and the necks accept the standard 2 1/2” hose connectors.
I apologize, my images are not posting properly.
[img][IMgG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/150x100q90/923/ssIZmH.jpg[/img][/img]
The cyclone dust collector is on the left.
[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/150x100q90/910/u6baIk.jpg[/img][/img]
I used 2 litter containers riveted and taped together. The 2 1/2” connector is a good friction fit in the neck of the container. I notice that George Dibos uses corrugated cardboard to form his dust hoods.
The shop vacs are noisy and putting the vacuum in another room is a good idea, but I’m not there yet. This works for now.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Pillichody

Post by Pillichody »

Thank you Dogcatcher and Doc. I appreciate the help. I will have to live with the noise. My shop is really small. Outside the work area is the outside.
Doc would you mind showing a picture of how the plastic jug is situated up to the buffer or sander?
I have heard that some also put a box over the top of the sanding disk. I would think it could get in the way. Does anyone have a picture of that set up also?
Pillichody

Post by Pillichody »

Thank Doc. That picture came through as I was typing. Thank you. This helps a lot. I am able to obtain kitty litter jugs also. I need to get a vac and some hoses. Then I think I am ready to take off the mask.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

I used one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H ... UTF8&psc=1
to provide power to my sander and dust collector. The switches on both machines were left in the on position. When I turned on the power junction, it activated both the sander and dust collector.

I did have one that left the dust collection system run an extra 15 seconds, but old age finally killed it, and I never replaced it. Should have, but it has been a year since I have been in the shop.
Pillichody

Post by Pillichody »

Thank you Dogcatcher. That will be a great addition. And helpful. I have not been in my shop for about 6 weeks. I had a virus that had me down for a while and then minor surgery. Now I'm trying to get my very small shop in a better workable order.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

DocAitch wrote:I use a shop vac with a cyclone type catcher in the line and a bag in the vac which catches particles that are missed in the cyclone. I have found that plastic cat litter cans make pretty fair collectors at the sanding wheels, and the necks accept the standard 2 1/2” hose connectors.
I apologize, my images are not posting properly.
The cyclone dust collector is on the left.
I used 2 litter containers riveted and taped together. The 2 1/2” connector is a good friction fit in the neck of the container. I notice that George Dibos uses corrugated cardboard to form his dust hoods.
The shop vacs are noisy and putting the vacuum in another room is a good idea, but I’m not there yet. This works for now.
DocAitch
Doc, here you go. Looks like you put each image link inside of another image link, Inception style.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Pillichody »

Doc, what is the HP of your vac? I am looking for a smaller size for the area I want to put it. But I want as much HP that I can get. I am looking at a Ridged 9Gal 4.5hp. Should that work?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Buy shop-vac, not rigid. Rigid don't take the filter bags, and you need those. Need.

Best shop vac for the money /size is the little bumble-bee one for contractors. Runs about 100 bucks around here.

https://www.amazon.ca/Shop-Vac-5-5-Peak ... B01MXZGGH0
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Pillichody

Post by Pillichody »

Thank you Sasquatch. I like the size of that. But I already got the Rigid. This one also takes bags. I had a low budget $49. I also picked up a cyclone that works with a 5gal bucket. I am still looking for good ideas of what to put at the sanders and buffers. I do like what Doc is doing with the kitty litter jug. I will do that. I would like to see what others are doing also. (home made ideas)
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

The 9 gal should work fine. They definitely need to be checked regularly, even with the cyclone and the bag, the filters will pick up material.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy