The problem with robots (CNC machines)...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
LatakiaLover

The problem with robots (CNC machines)...

Post by LatakiaLover »

...is they do EXACTLY what you tell them to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHbI_B2sPA0
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Re: The problem with robots (CNC machines)...

Post by oklahoma red »

GI-GO: Garbage In, Garbage Out
oklahoma red

Re: The problem with robots (CNC machines)...

Post by oklahoma red »

oklahoma red wrote:GI-GO: Garbage In, Garbage Out
For those that do not know, CNC machines are programmed with universal G & M codes. There are several ways of compiling these codes. For the most part, these days the codes can be generated semi-automatically from CAD/CAM software (Computer Aided Drawing/ Computer Aided Machining). Also available are software packages that will give a graphical simulation of the program with the intent of preventing what you see in George's video. That is, any crashes will be shown in a simulation. I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest software but I imagine ideal feed rates and spindle rpm are in some of the packages. Feed rate errors and piss-poor work holding were the cause behind most of the crashes shown. Then there are the moronic machine operators that try to program parts right on the mill or lathe without any program checks. I never programmed anything on the machine itself as too many things can go wrong. Some of what is shown in this video cost someone a lot of money.