The most stupid thing I ever did in my life...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
LatakiaLover

The most stupid thing I ever did in my life...

Post by LatakiaLover »

...was buy an inadequate lathe.

I have no idea what Atlas THOUGHT they were making and selling at the time, but their 618 / 101 model is absolutely worthless.

WORSE than worthless because of all the time you waste and tooling you experiment with in a vain attempt to get a good result.

The 618 / 101 model series is absolute complete and utter shit, crap, trash, garbage, junk, scrap, waste, boat anchor puke that belongs at the bottom of the world's deepest septic tank.

If the original designers, manufacturers, and marketers could be brought back to life with a magic wand, I would use the same magic wand to re-animate the Spanish Inquisition's most skilled torturers to deal with them.

New guys: get a REAL lathe... a QUALITY lathe... of ADEQUATE SIZE... or simply don't bother. DO NOT talk yourself into thinking "anything is better than nothing", or "I'll find a way to make it work," or "it's all I can afford" or "it's all I have space for" etc. You will regret it, guaranteed.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
seamonster

Re: The most stupid thing I ever did in my life...

Post by seamonster »

Hmm. I curious to hear your complaints. I have a 101 and it does the job for me.... granted I'm one hair away from a new guy, and haven't used anything better, so no context.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Slop.

Everywhere, in every way. Cheap-ass misaligned crap garbage slop.

I'm six years into it, there are no solutions. Fundamental errors are exactly that... buildings built on sand are hopeless.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Maddwarf69

Post by Maddwarf69 »

It's ok George, you can tell us how you really feel.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Sorry for your trouble, George. I know the frustration you're feeling. I find punching random strangers helps.
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

This post couldn't have come at a better time, George.
Right now I am in the process of researching and saving for a metal lathe. The ones on amazon that are less expensive and small do breed those thoughts, "this is probably better than nothing!" Lol, I will keep researching and saving.
I have been primarily looking at Precision Matthews, I've also been looking on craigslist for any older American models.
linearone

Post by linearone »

Isn't that the model it has like a half inch spindle shaft?
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I sort of feel your pain, but am a novice to machine work and wouldn’t know slop if I fell over it. I do know run out and can compensate (somewhat) for that.
I did exactly what you counsel against- bought a Harbor Freight 7x10” metal lathe.
I actually learned to make OK stems on it with a little care and figured out how to do freehand drilling on it, and have since stepped up to a HF 8x12”. With more tinkering, I can cut recesses for bands and I can finally cut the top and accent rings for bulldog/Rhodesians.
I have also found several larger and more suitable used lathes with tooling advertised, but am at a stage now where I can do anything I need to do on my cheap ($750 new) HF.
I, too, have salivated over the Precision Matthews machines, but $4000 and a 6-9 month wait put me off.
So I would counsel a new person to watch the classifieds (Craigs List, Amazon Marketplace, etc.) for a used machine with tooling.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
linearone

Post by linearone »

George,
I'll gladly take your sloppy atlas lathe off your hands
CSCmachine

Post by CSCmachine »

If you look at Government Surplus auctions and are willing to get a little dirty to get something that will do anything you would realistically ever require, they have a lot of great tools. These are older, well used and you have to really pay attention to what you are paying for but most can be cleaned up, tuned up, rebuilt and will last you the rest of your life. I have a 1956 Rockwell Delta 14" tool room lathe that has been moved, cleaned, and tuned and is one of the most accurate lathes I have used. I am a machinist/Gunsmith, so that accuracy is something I absolutely have to have if I am to stay in business. The auction sights can be hit and miss, but sometimes that $3500 machine that looks like a pile of junk can be a real find if your willing to work on it and learn how to properly use it. If you insist on a new machine, a 10" or 14" Grizzly Tool lathe is really not that bad. The import from China ones are junk, but South Bend is now making lathes for them and those are very good machines. The Mathews lathes are VERY nice, but again, that comes at a cost. If you're not a machinist or even close to being one, you probably would not use enough of the features that make them nice to justify the cost. The cost of the tooling for any metal lathe (add about 80% to the cost of the machine for good tools) is going to eat a hole in any budget. If you can save a few dollars on a decent used machine, you have more to buy some good tools that will make life much easier.