Harbor Freight Drill Press Vise

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
wdteipen

Harbor Freight Drill Press Vise

Post by wdteipen »

I recently purchased a Harbor Freight Drill Press Vise for my drill press but ran into a couple of problems. First, the mounting slots don't match up with the slots on the drill platform. Second, the vise is too tall to mount on the adjustable drill press platform. I've tried adjusting things every way I can think to make it work but just isn't cutting it. I thought about moving the adjustable platform or removing it altogether and mounting the vise on the drill press base but then I lose the ability to adjust vertically. Short of buying a larger standing drill press, any other ideas? I would love to figure out a way to make these two items work together because I like the adjustability of the vise.

Thanks,
Wayne
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Perhaps a photo would help -- usually the table has slots for mounting vises, and the base of the vise rotates so that almost any hole spacing will fit. Unless you're trying to mount the vise square and not rotating the base as necessary, you may just have a vise that is too big or a press that is too small. If your table is all the way down and there's not enough room to drill a hole even with short drill bits I don't think there's any trick for that.