Tap and die

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
hazmat

Tap and die

Post by hazmat »

So I'm going to have to pony up for a tap and die set very directly. I'm checking out the following kit on Grizzly.com. Just curious if this is something you need to purchase high-end(like forstner bits) or if the following kit will get me where I need to be. I don't see me using it all the time, but there are certainly times when having a kit like this available will come in way handy.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/40-pc-Tap-Die-Set/G5476
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's not a bad price if it's decent quality. I tend to just buy my taps and dies as onesey-twosies in my order of other stuff from McMAster-Carr, based on my needs at the moment. I actually usually just buy taps, since you can find all-thread and bolts of almost any thread pitch - but you can't buy a hole with threads. :)

The only thing that gives me pause about that set is the lack of a steel type. Most will say that they're either made from high speed steel, cobalt steel, or something. This one lacks that, so it might be made from plain old run-of-the-mill carbon steel. Which is fine for light duty work, or the occasional hole, but won't last too long under machinist use. And the price. The price is really, really low.

I don't know. I'd probably buy one or two high quality taps in the sizes I need now rather than buy a whole set of potential crap.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I believe I have to agree with you on that, Kurt. I was wondering what the quality was. I don't need to thread too many holes, but I am going to be making some mandrels that will require some threading to complete. I'll just get the ones I need when I'm ready.
Frank

Post by Frank »

To a certain extent, it depends on what sort of projects you do in your workshop.

I have a similar inexpensive set I've had for years and I find it extremely useful, but I also have about 3 or 4 sets of 1/4-20. However, if you only occasionally need to cut a thread, a quick trip to your local hardware store (man, I miss having an Ace nearby) or Home Depot is probably better.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett