Motor has arrived!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
hazmat

Motor has arrived!

Post by hazmat »

I'm doin cartwheels over here.... hehe...

So I got the motor and made a plug end with a switch on it at work today. I'm good to go with that. Here's where I'm stuck. This is a link to the wiring diagram.

I know what goes where, I'm just not sure if I can wire them up all in a bundle like it shows here(I'm assuming their diagram is right!!) or if I have to split out black and white on their own. I'm leery of just wrapping them all together and wire nutting them. I don't want to die this evening.

Thanks!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Have you cracked the switch housing yet? There might be a big wire nut in there for you already, or a terminal block. Personally, if there's not one already, I would be very tempted to use a terminal block. The Baldors that were on eBay a while back had a switch on the housing that included a nice terminal block that everything conveniently plugged into.

That said, follow the wiring diagram exactly. Don't deviate from the schematic - Bad Things can happen.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Weeeeeeeee.....she SPINS!!!! Good deal.

Now, anyone know where a guy can get a mandrel threaded at 1/2"-20 that will fit a 5/8" motor shaft? I searched McMaster-Carr and came up empty, which I didn't think was possible. :shock:
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

hazmat wrote:Weeeeeeeee.....she SPINS!!!! Good deal.

Now, anyone know where a guy can get a mandrel threaded at 1/2"-20 that will fit a 5/8" motor shaft? I searched McMaster-Carr and came up empty, which I didn't think was possible. :shock:
Trent Rudat can make them - he made mine. Pipe Makers Emporium also has some but they come with the drill chuck already.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

hazmat wrote:Weeeeeeeee.....she SPINS!!!! Good deal.

Woodcraft! :)
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=894
Item #01V11 Price:$5.99

Or, McMaster-Carr :)
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=2589
Item #43555A25 Price:$4.50

The magical incantation is "work arbor".
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks, Kurt. I think maybe the motor chuck from Woodcraft may be the way to roll here for the short term.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Matt, are you opting to just go with the 1725 rpm single speed of the motor as opposed to a 3 pulley system?

I don't mean to be a pain in the arse, but when you ordered your motor from Grizzly...: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-A ... huck/G5553
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I got one of the arbors from McMaster - I never had the guts to use it. Looks like it would explode. Appears to be cheapo pot metal body that wouldn't be able to withstand any stress. Thats why I had Trent make one out of a piece of steel.
Frank

Post by Frank »

kkendall wrote:I got one of the arbors from McMaster - I never had the guts to use it. Looks like it would explode. Appears to be cheapo pot metal body that wouldn't be able to withstand any stress. Thats why I had Trent make one out of a piece of steel.
I used a pair exactly like those on a double shafted (twin shafted?) motor for many years before I got my "quality" buffer. Never had a problem. And that was at 3450 rpm on a 1 hp motor buffing hard steels.

Kim: I think the arbors are possibly zinc coated steel. An easy test is to see if a magnet will stick to it. If it sticks, it's carbon steel, if not, then it's possibly pot metal (which I doubt) or aluminium.
Last edited by Frank on Tue May 20, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Frank wrote:Matt, are you opting to just go with the 1725 rpm single speed of the motor as opposed to a 3 pulley system?

I don't mean to be a pain in the arse, but when you ordered your motor from Grizzly...: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-A ... huck/G5553
I'm still going to build the 3 pulley system, definitely. That's another $100+ venture so I can't do it right away. Figured in the meantime I'd mount the motor and use it as/is to get a few stummels rough shaped until I can do the rest of the job. I don't mind doing most of the shaping at 1725 but for some stuff, I'm definitely going to need to slow things down.

I am considering getting those chucks instead of work arbors, though. Might make changing out buffs and sanding discs much easier. I also may just make my own. This little lathe of mine has to be good for something other than turning stems! :) I didn't order one when I ordered the motor because I have a work arbor already. Silly me, however, didn't bother to check the shaft diameter. I fogot it was 1/2" and the shaft on this motor is 5/8"...go figure! :oops:
Frank

Post by Frank »

hazmat wrote: I also may just make my own. This little lathe of mine has to be good for something other than turning stems! :)
If it's a metal lathe, then making your own arbor should be a cinch.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!