Help with Sanding motor

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
caskwith

Help with Sanding motor

Post by caskwith »

Hi Guys, im looking for some advice. For shaping and sanding pipes id like to get a motor that runs forward and reverse, and has an easy to use speed control, ideally from 0-1425rpm. Firstly, is this a possible arrangement and secondly where might i get one without breaking the bank?

Cheers for any help.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Variable speed motors are a good bit more expensive than single speed motors.

I'm in the process of building a sanding/buffing rig with a 1725 rpm motor and some step pulleys to control the speed. When it's all said and done, the total cost will be approx $200 and the little bit of my time required to assemble it.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Kurt was the one who suggested this to me awhile back, but you might check into treadmill motors/controllers.

If you scrounge around on your local Craigslist and at local thrift stores, garage sales, classifieds, etc., you might find a working treadmill for like $50-100.

I know, back before I realized how useful those motors and controllers were, I would see them at the Salvation Army for like $40.

Heck, we have "heavy trash pickup" one day a month, here in Houston, and I've seen people throwing the things away.

Definitely gonna pick up the next one I see out by somebody's curb, just to have it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I wouldn't want to run a belt grinder off of one, but those things are great for light duty work like buffers or sanders where you're only putting load on it momentarily and then backing off.

Motors than can be run at variable speed can be had, if you can't find a treadmill in your area. The cheapest ones are treadmill motors, run at 130V, and generate about 2.5 HP. Ignore ebay for these though, you'll get soaked on the price. I always check here first:
http://www.surpluscenter.com

Going price for these:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... e=electric
seems to be about double that cost on eBay. People are silly.

Here's the speed control for that motor above:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... e=electric

Like I said, I wouldn't trust it for constant duty loads like on a lathe or grinder, but as a light duty tool like disc sander or buffer, it would be great.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I know several guys who run 9 and 10 inch lathes off treadmill motors. The main disadvantage with them is that you lose torque at low rpm, which you do to a lesser extent with a frequency drive, plus you gain control of all kinds of parameters like startup time, motor braking, torque boost at low rpm, etc. It's an interesting idea to make the sanding disc go in reverse. For a while I had a 1725 rpm grinder that I had sanding discs on both sides, but I wound up just using the right side anyway.

You might look for one of those little variable speed wood lathes, used. You could reverse the headstock and go to town, and there's nothing that says you'd need to use the rest of the lathe at all. One of my future projects is to make a polishing lathe out of an old Logan lathe headstock.