How do you use a pipe stamp?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Has anyone tried hooking the stamp up to a stamp iron? I have an old stamp here at work that is inserted into a soldering iron type tool. It's great for marking tools. I wonder how it would work for pipe stamping.
jeff

Post by jeff »

As with anything in this business, you can put as much time and effort into something as you like, but the results may not be much better. Stamping is one of those necessary evils. You may be discouraged with your first few efforts, but you will improve if you put your mind to it.

Some folks heat the irons or have contraptions to aid in stamping the pipes. But, I find that, just as with things like sand baths for bending stems, the amount of time it takes diminishes the positive effect of the result. Some folks have physical needs that require an alternative, but for most of us we just have to tough it out. In my experience, I just had to grin and bear it. Practice, be careful, and you should be fine. By the time you've stamped your fiftieth or hundredth or thousandth pipe, you should have it down. :)

Best,

Jeff
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

jeff wrote: By the time you've stamped your fiftieth or hundredth or thousandth pipe, you should have it down. :)

Best,

Jeff
And sometimes not. :lol:

Rad
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Thanks Rad.....I was thinking the same thing!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes :oops:
jeff

Post by jeff »

RadDavis wrote:
jeff wrote: By the time you've stamped your fiftieth or hundredth or thousandth pipe, you should have it down. :)

Best,

Jeff
And sometimes not. :lol:

Rad
Right. :lol: Doesn't the occasional mis-stamping add character, though?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Not according to some customers... :?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

I sold several pipe to members of my pipeclub. After I got my stamp from Paul, they were, hum, unimpressed with the results. In fact, many of them actually had the nerve to decline my offering to stamp the older pipes they got from me that were unstamped! The ungrateful bastards...

(Actually, I don't blame them :oops: )
Frank

Post by Frank »

Leus wrote:I sold several pipe to members of my pipeclub. After I got my stamp from Paul, they were, hum, unimpressed with the results. In fact, many of them actually had the nerve to decline my offering to stamp the older pipes they got from me that were unstamped! The ungrateful bastards...

(Actually, I don't blame them :oops: )
Give us a bit more detail. Is the stamp badly made, or badly designed, or what?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Fraenky

Post by Fraenky »

In the beginning I also had much fear to stamp my pipes, because I always thought that it is necessary to press the stamp against the stem.
But now I fix the stamp in a vise, heat it with a gas burner and then press the stem against.

Fraenky

http://shop-pipes-n-more.de/FRC/
(unfortunately in german only)
Leus

Post by Leus »

Frank wrote: Give us a bit more detail. Is the stamp badly made, or badly designed, or what?
Nah, the tool is just great. I'm just bad at stamping, among other things.