Tooling up, Where to spend my $$$ ?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Alden

Tooling up, Where to spend my $$$ ?

Post by Alden »

I'm in the process of tooling up, and I have a question on the best way to spend the next $500.
I dont have a lathe yet, but will have the cash set aside for a used Delta or Jet midi, just waiting for the right deal.
My question is, should I spend my cash now on a custom Lathe Chuck, and a couple of S&D chamber bits, or should I buy the $99 Nova Midi Chuck on sale and get in on the Spoon Bit deal going on right now ?
I'll likely end up with some S&D bits either way, just thinking longterm. Hate to kick myself for missing out on the spoon bits when they were being offered, but will I get more use from the start buying a nicer chuck ?
JHowell

Re: Tooling up, Where to spend my $$$ ?

Post by JHowell »

If you're really looking down the road, save more for a better lathe. You can make your own drills and bits. Lathe, not so much. For turned shapes, I highly recommend a chuck like mine, about which I've posted ad nauseum, but you'll want a 10 to 12 inch metal lathe to swing it.

If you're committed to the midi wood lathe route for the forseeable future, I'd get a nice talon/oneway chuck and make or have made some nice jaws for it. Try making your own S&D 3/4" bit before you blow a lot of money on them. Just my opinion, but if you have the dexterity to shape a pipe you can grind your own bits. You can make spoon bits, too, but it helps to have a metal lathe and access to a milling machine. Grinding away the relief takes forever.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'd do neither of your options for bits. Grinding spade bits to profile is easy as pie, and will cost you $2 ea. S&D bits are nice and all, but not 25x's nice. If you must have S&D try grinding those too, as Jack suggests.

As for spoon bits, I'd not recommend a new guy learn pipe making by shaping first and drilling second unless he was apprenticing under someone who has mastered the technique. You'll get another shot at spoon bits someday when you are ready to take that step.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Interesting answers, thanks.
I would definitely go with a metal lathe, but I have a really small wooden shed for a shop. I dont think the plywood floors would hold up to a good metal lathe, but maybe I'm wrong?I bought a JH Lowe tenon turner from Simeon awhile back, so I think I can make a midi work out, but I will definitely miss out on making tools and other things to do with a metal lathe.
Tyler thanks for the advice on spoon bits, and I'm sure you are right. As far as S&D bits, I just assumed (incorrectly?) that they would do a better job than a spade bit.
So, I guess the smartest place to spend some money is a custom chuck ??
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The $99 Nova chuck is great for turning stem stock and what-not and I really like mine. It's a great bargain. But, the jaws don't open wide enough for most medium to large blocks of briar. For that, I would suggest the Oneway Talon. I have both of these chucks and recommend them both. I use mine regularly. With the Oneway Talon you can do both tasks but will have to switch out the jaws. It's nice to not have to waste time to do that. The tower jaws work fine for turning and drilling briar on a budget. You can have a machinist modify them to get some improvement for a lot less money than custom jaws but eventually you'll likely want to have custom jaws made to fit the Oneway.

Spade bits are a great cheap start to drilling chambers but I have to say S&D bits are leaps and bounds better. I just recently made one and it wasn't too hard to do. You can start with spades and as money allows buy S&D bits and shape them yourself to replace the spade bits. One thing I found helps reduce the chatter from spade bits is to shorten the shank. I cut mine off with the cutting disc and Dremel.

So I guess my answer is to spend the money on a Oneway Talon four jaw chuck and tower jaws.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks for the advice Wayne. I have read and reread a couple hundred posts here, its still tough to put it all together before I get hands on experience with the tools.
So, it sounds like for $250 or so, the Oneway with tower jaws would be the best choice for now. Thats good, because the more I think about it, the more crap I need to spend money on!
Now to find a buffer and sander....
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

If you find a Oneway Talon for $250 you're getting a good deal if I remember correctly.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

I've found them in the $199-$250 range everywhere I looked
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

With even an old shed, unless it's just falling in, you can reinforce the floor with a sheet of 3/4" plywood and then it should support anything you want it too.

Edward, sent you a PM just now.
Pipe Maker in the Making!