NEW - Lathe Chuck Jaws

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Charl

Re: NEW - Lathe Chuck Jaws

Post by Charl »

Nice jaws, Steve! And the turret chuck is just way cool!
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

keilwerth wrote:Steve, are those jaws welded to factory ones very low / close to the chuck, or are they manufactured as a complete, solid jaw (including the part that slides inside the chuck body) ?
They are modified on the original jaws. Basically the original jaws have a stepped side, so I turned them around (as if you were clamping something big) and had pieces machined to fit the notches, then welded and gridded, etc. It's about as durable as I can come up with. Then again, I drill out hundreds of blocks a month, so durability is key. To imagine the thousands of blocks I made work on a drill press.....
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

A nice sturdy set of jaws and a turret surely is the business if you have to drill a lot of kits like Steve does. For me it wouldn't work so well since each pipe is so different, doesn't stop me from wanting one though ;)

One tip for those that would like to have some of the versatility of a turret but also the extra flexibility is to mount the most commonly used drill bits/cutters etc onto their own arbour or into their own dedicated chuck. This is what I have done so when doing the mortise work I just pop out one arbour and put in the next, the bit is setup with a collar if required and I know it is secure and accurately mounted ready to go. Really does speed things up. Does require some thought and investment but a few months spent looking at ebay for cheap auctions helps with that.
BLC

Post by BLC »

I'm no expert on bearings...but I do know a bit about doing out of balance pieces. Heat is the number one enemy of most bearings. I've been turning monster chunks for years...haven't killed a set yet from that.

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

BLC wrote:I'm no expert on bearings...but I do know a bit about doing out of balance pieces. Heat is the number one enemy of most bearings. I've been turning monster chunks for years...haven't killed a set yet from that.
Is that the ball of fat from the London sewers? I thought it was bigger.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

good lord man!!! that is a big ass bowl
BLC

Post by BLC »

Yep...yes it is...I'll let you know if I ever get it done.

pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You must smoke a lot to build an ashtray that big.Trent Rudat built my chuck and jaws and I feel safe with doing the crazy things I do with them, They are heavy and run true. BLC , You have a set of brass.