Blasting media!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
smokindawg

Blasting media!

Post by smokindawg »

I'm picking up an air compressor and blast cabinet tomorrow. What would be the preferred grit blast media to start learning to blast pipes? What type to use and what to stay away from? I know there are secrets but would just like to know where to start.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Sasquatch

Re: Blasting media!

Post by Sasquatch »

I think the idea is that glass beads give a nice texture, but don't cut much, so you need something else mixed in, whether it's Al/ox or Si/Carbide.

Really, you'll have to buy a few products and see what works with your rig. If you have access to 220 grit stuff, I'd say that is a reasonable place to start.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Glass beads are a good place to start. They're also cheaper. The al/ox runs about 3 times the price of glass bead out here.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Most people buy the #13 glass bead; it's often listed as "extra fine glass bead" or "325 grit" or "170-320 grit". Regardless, you can find it here: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PART ... O=16717765
Last edited by e Markle on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Go with granite I love the result :mrgreen:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Hello there, I've contacted my blasting media supplier to place an order, and he told me that in glass beads the grit number is refering to weight(not like Al/ox or sandpaper grit) so 300-400 is heavier and more aggresive than 100-200.

Do I need to order the most aggresive 300-400 or the smaller and finer 40-100?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Um, no. Here in the US the number refers to media size. Larger number, smaller media. I think your supplier is confused.
Chris, have you ever run into this on your side of the pond?

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

Your supplier should be able to get a sample of each to confirm. Don't buy it without finding out for sure.

andrew
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Your supplier might be listing micron size. That's what mine does, for example 300-500 will be media of between 300 and 500 microns. So in my case 100-200 is finer than 300-500
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah Grit vs Micron is totally F'd up. 50 grit is huge, 50 microns small. 600 grit tiny, 600 micron big.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Be very careful with Silicon based media. It is very very very toxic. Better to use Glass for safety, but you will still need proper collection and filtration.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

I've contacted another supplier and seems that everyone in Greece is using micron size as reference....100-200 is the number that fits me.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

PremalChheda wrote:Be very careful with Silicon based media. It is very very very toxic. Better to use Glass for safety, but you will still need proper collection and filtration.

This. I have my cabinet mounted on a furniture dolly I bought at HF. I pull it out on the driveway and then close the garage door. Grant it, I am limited to blasting on warm days, but I save my lungs and the dust doesn't end up full of glass beads. Oh, and I tape the lid closed so nothing eeks out the top.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Glass is made of silicon too, kids. It's no better for ya.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Yeah, I'm not sure why glass bead media is listed as ok for you. Just checked the msds. Normal glass is like 3/4 silica, so... seems like it could still give you silicosis. Anyone here know for sure?

andrew
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

How about: DON'T BREATHE ANY OF THIS STUFF!
Chas.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

andrew wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why glass bead media is listed as ok for you. Just checked the msds. Normal glass is like 3/4 silica, so... seems like it could still give you silicosis. Anyone here know for sure?

andrew
Silicosis is caused by crystalline silica, glass contained fused silicone dioxide. While you still don't want to go around breathing in buckets of the stuff it won't give you silicosis.
andrew

Post by andrew »

See, this is what I was wondering about. I know it's fused and no longer crystalline, but once the bead is broken I wonder if it's more dangerous. Probably not as bad as crystalline, but not as good as unbroken bead.

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

Either way, DON'T BREATHE IT.

andrew