let me help you, help me

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Alden

Re: let me help you, help me

Post by Alden »

Alden wrote:Sounds like you are set on the Grizzly, so buy it. It will make pipes :thumbsup:
Yeah, what he said.
the rev

Post by the rev »

Alden wrote:
Alden wrote:Sounds like you are set on the Grizzly, so buy it. It will make pipes :thumbsup:
Yeah, what he said.
like I said already, my heart is not set on the Grizzly. For me the fact that I have this money is a huge deal, (it was a gift with the express purpose of helping my pipe making business). I want to make the best decision. I know this sounds ridiculous but in my 25 year marriage we have not made one purchase, besides the truck I am driving right now, that was for this much money. So if I am going to be sorry I bought the Grizzly, or even the Jet, and in a year am going to wish I got the precision Matthews I want to know. My lack of knowledge, practice, and the ability to go and see these machines in person makes it all more difficult.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Why can't you go see them somewhere? I live in the sticks, and I could figure out how to see these machines, or machines I was considering purchasing.

You're buying new, you'll have a warranty, and you'll be able to make pipes on the Griz. If you want to upgrade someday, that doesn't make it a failure. It makes it a starter. There's nothing wrong with that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Rev, there is one thing you are leaving out of the equation; Craigslist.
If you check CL once or twice a week, and dont see any good lathes, that is why.
Spend the next 3 weeks obsessively searching "lathe" about 4 times a day and I bet you will see something nice pop up. The lifespan of a post for a good metal lathe at a decent price is about 3 hours in my experience. Call 5 hours after its posted, and the lathe is SOLD. Check it the next day, and you will never even know there was a Jet 920 with 5 extra chucks and 300 lbs of extra cutting tools and accessories with a stand for $600 :lol:
If you're set on new, I can understand that too. But I bet you could find a deal with a month of patience and diligent searches.
the rev

Post by the rev »

have been doing that for months.

rev

Nate

Post by Nate »

I can always say, as has been recommended to me, think of the best one you'll need for the job and then go one bigger. If you go with a quality machine (such as the PM or even Jet) you will not regret it.

Do you wish to do this as a hobby or a full time business? I can tell you from experience, if you are going to be doing it as a business you will want the biggest baddest mofo out there. You CANNOT afford downtime, so yes, quality is a huge issue. If you get the Grizzly and it is constantly broken, it's not that great a lathe to you is it?

I have used many quality lathes having come from auto racing. This is one area I will not cheap out on. They are too valuable a machine to do so. And the frustrating thing on PMF is it seems nearly every week we have a new tenant here that is thinking about a lathe and asks the same questions about the same lathes. And they get the same advice. And often it goes out the window and they buy what they want. If you are doing this as a hobby, then the Grizzly would likely be fine. If full time, then no. Save up and pop for a better quality lathe. Visit some machine shops too, you may just find they have one in the back they just don't use any longer and would be willing to sell it.

At the end of the day, we can't make this decision for you, it falls on you. And who better to make the decision? You know what you plan on doing. You also have a fair bit of advice about what's what about lathes. To be honest, I think whatever one you purchase you'll be happy with. I mean why not? It's a new toy!!! :D
the rev

Post by the rev »

I am not trying to be obstinate, I am trying to put as much thought, and get as much info as possible. I truly appreciate all of the advice, I am just trying to help myself understand the stuff I don't understand.

thanks again

rev

Nate

Post by Nate »

the rev wrote:I am not trying to be obstinate, I am trying to put as much thought, and get as much info as possible. I truly appreciate all of the advice, I am just trying to help myself understand the stuff I don't understand.

thanks again

rev
I am certainly not chastising you, I understand wanting to get the right part. I spent a good 3 or 4 months researching my purchase. And I am very happy with it and the service I have received along with the purchase. Kudos for trying to get the right piece. From what's listed, I would get: PM, Jet, and Grizzly last. My 2¢.
troypla

Post by troypla »

sethile wrote:
While saving up for a better lathe I had the opportunity to use the Jet 9x20, a Grizzly 9x20, and a Precision Matthews 11x27 and 12x36. For me the machines that impressed me the most were the Jet 9x20 and PM 12x36. They were both a pleasure to use. The others had issues, at least for me...
Curious, what about the PM12x36 did you like more than the PM11x27?
I've been researching future lathe purchase and find many favorable comments about the torque/speed, adjust-ability of the new variable speed motors on the the different chinese lathes
DrewEstateSam

Post by DrewEstateSam »

First off, im not a machinist, or know toolng well. I run the 9x19 grizzly listed, I bought it used, with tooling for around $400. It's an older machine but works well as a starter lathe. I have a friend that has 1 only a few months old as well. I've seen Premal run his Jet 920, and he USES it. I know they're very similar to the Grizzly, made in the same factories, etc. The Jet is a better machine, tighter, better components, and I would take Premals with some years on it over a new Grizzly. I've ordered parts and tools from Grizzly for the lathe and other tools. They're customer service is top notch. Hope this helps slightly, just slightly
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

troypla wrote:
sethile wrote:
While saving up for a better lathe I had the opportunity to use the Jet 9x20, a Grizzly 9x20, and a Precision Matthews 11x27 and 12x36. For me the machines that impressed me the most were the Jet 9x20 and PM 12x36. They were both a pleasure to use. The others had issues, at least for me...
Curious, what about the PM12x36 did you like more than the PM11x27?
I've been researching future lathe purchase and find many favorable comments about the torque/speed, adjust-ability of the new variable speed motors on the the different chinese lathes
I've owned the Grizzly 9x20, PM11x27 and the PM12x36. All I have is the 12x36. After getting the 12x36, all I used the Grizzly for was making Delrin tenons. When Todd J. and I partnered up for The Briar Studio, we purchased the 11x27. We both owned the 12x36, but to save a few bucks, we bought the 11x27, regrettably.
The PM11x27 is a lightweight compared to the 12x36.
I believe Scott would concur (which he did in his reply), the 12x36 is a machine that if there is a screw up, it's your fault.
BAW
troypla

Post by troypla »

baweaverpipes wrote: I've owned the Grizzly 9x20, PM11x27 and the PM12x36. All I have is the 12x36. After getting the 12x36, all I used the Grizzly for was making Delrin tenons. When Todd J. and I partnered up for The Briar Studio, we purchased the 11x27. We both owned the 12x36, but to save a few bucks, we bought the 11x27, regrettably.
The PM11x27 is a lightweight compared to the 12x36.
I believe Scott would concur (which he did in his reply), the 12x36 is a machine that if there is a screw up, it's your fault.
BAW
Bruce, thanks for the input (Drew also).
Read much over a long time here on the lathe subject and understand the bigger better point. Just thought that since the Jet 9x20 was his #2 choice (much more of a lightweight than the PM12x36, no?) the PM11x27 might be a "heavier"/better choice... a step up, so to speak...middle ground between the JET and the big Precision Matthews?

By the way, is the Briar Studio still open for pipe making workshops to learn the pipe making process?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

troypla wrote: By the way, is the Briar Studio still open for pipe making workshops to learn the pipe making process?
The Briar Studio didn't work out, however I have people come to my shop quite often.
BAW
troypla

Post by troypla »

baweaverpipes wrote:
troypla wrote: By the way, is the Briar Studio still open for pipe making workshops to learn the pipe making process?
The Briar Studio didn't work out, however I have people come to my shop quite often.
BAW
Money better spent, I'm thinking. Time w/an experienced maker coupled with time on a lathe prior to making the investment. Do you charge/take donations for such time spent?

Still curious, your opinion on the comparison Jet 920/PM1127? Same price but one looks on paper to be "more" lathe?
Thanks, Troy
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Whether your a machinist or not, once you purchase a metal lathe you'll find metal items you want to make and use the lathe to do so. Even if you specifically purchase it to make pipes, somewhere down the line you'll, as I said, find something to do with metal that you want to spin on it.

I have a Jet 9x20 and it's a quality machine that will do just about anything I want it too. I have done a few mods and have a couple more I'd like to do. But those are just to make things I do on it easier. The only thing I think that the Jet could have that would make cutting metal better is, at least mine, is a heavier 4 bolt hold down on the tool holder.

As for the grizzly tools, I actually have a grizzly that I bought from a friend, although I haven't done anything with it yet. This is the one I have http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-Lathe-Mill/G9729 The previous owner removed the milling attachment but I did also get a bit of decent tooling with it. I probably should think about letting this one go.

I do however have a Grizzly Mini Mill and love it. Again, it isn't perfect compared to a better brand perhaps, although I can't say for sure as it's the only mill I've had other than a much smaller Sherline. I do however enjoy using it and sometimes push it hard and it's never failed me. So as said, grizzly tools are not junk and I'd not hesitate to purchase others from this maker.

I've also purchased a lot of tooling from Grizzly and been pretty happy with the quality. I make my own jaws for holding briar blocks and while most are made for the Oneway and Nova chucks I purchased a chuck from Grizzly that had the same jaw bolt pattern as my oneway was. I did modify it by drilling out the jaw hold down holes and tapping them to the same size as the oneway. So, while not perfect, Grizzly tools are of quality and for the price a good purchase. But that being said, they can sometimes use mods that will make them better and more user friendly.

If you do decide to go with the Grizzly, purchase as big a lathe as you can afford to get.

So don't be afraid to purchase from Grizzly as being new to lathes and what you plan on doing with it, you won't be disappointed (I haven't been)

Once you get used to using the machine, if you find that you want something better you'll have no problem selling off your old one. Especially if you have taken care of and made any mods to the lathe. Also, a lot of tooling that you purchase for one of the cheaper lathes can usually be adapted to be used on a better lathe later.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
troypla

Post by troypla »

smokindawg wrote:....
I have a Jet 9x20 ...

As for the grizzly tools, I actually have a grizzly that I bought from a friend, although I haven't done anything with it yet. This is the one I have http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-Lathe-Mill/G9729 The previous owner removed the milling attachment but I did also get a bit of decent tooling with it. I probably should think about letting this one go.

16 1/2" swing.....? easier to make canadians/lovats, no?
So would you post here if selling the lathe 1/2 of the mill drill combo? Could you crate and ship freight?
smokindawg wrote: I've also purchased a lot of tooling... I make my own jaws for holding briar blocks and while most are made for the Oneway and Nova chucks I purchased a chuck from Grizzly that had the same jaw bolt pattern as my oneway was. I did modify it by drilling out the jaw hold down holes and tapping them to the same size as the oneway.
Not familiar w/"Oneway" nor "Nova" brand/nomenclature. Would love some pics and or clarification these mods/jaws... could be helpfull.
troypla

Post by troypla »

Googled oneway/nova... but would still like to see the jaws mods
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

the rev wrote:thanks Sas, my problem is that I have never used a lathe before, not even once

rev
coulda swore ive seen pics of your lathe (via IG) :? or am I sarcastically impaired
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a 60 year old South Bend 9c, and I use the shit out it. It works for what it does, but it is severely limited in a few areas:
- distance between centers
- spindle bore
- rigidity
- threading ability
- tailstock spindle travel

A few years ago I looked at the Jet 9x20, and while it is a well made lathe, it has a few of the same shortcomings - mostly capacity issues. I don't know about rigidity, but a bigger lathe is always more stable.

I have used a Precision Matthews and fell in love. At some point, whenever I manage to get the shop upgrades underway, I will be buying one.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I am going to brag now. I made this pipe on a 6x18 atlas from the 50's. I used S&D drill bits and some modified screw extractors for the military mount. Get the machine that will let you make pipes, and if that means you'll have to buy another, better lathe in 5 years, so be it. If you have the hunger, just get the tools that will get you by for a few years while you build a business. If it's a hobby, save up.

Everybody is right about buying bigger and better lathes, it makes things much easier. But if you don't want to wait another year while you save up, buy the lathe and the tooling you need to get started and when you break it, buy a bigger one.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/fo ... 50895.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tl ... 99334.html

Looking at those lathes, I might buy one myself.
Anywho, good luck.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com