In the market - Metal Lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Vermont Freehand

Re: In the market - Metal Lathe

Post by Vermont Freehand »

Tyler wrote: Large metal only, used iron: There is no doubt great deals can be found in this category. Remember though, success in this category has a strong regional component. I watched Craig's list fairly regularly for 4+ years and was never successful. My area just didn't have used lathes. Also, in this category you do have to know enough to not get bitten by a worn out lathe. The good news is what we are doing is relatively easy, but buying crap is painful. Plus, I HATE working on tools instead of pipes. I consider myself very lathe ignorant. For those reason I was very nervous about used. Had I found a big name lathe on the cheap that looked clean, I would definitely would have taken the plunge, but I didn't. I watched a LOT. I didn't go this route. It can be a great deal.
FWIW, old iron is cheap enough for machine shops to buy super cheap and fix them up to sell them. I live in a little town in VT and know of 2 places within a 2 hour drive that do this. I'm sure it's a lot easier in bigger towns more than 3,000 people. They completely go through the machine, replace bearings, wicks, etc. They have THE best knowledge about the machine and often sell the refurbished ones much cheaper than a new one.

But, Tyler's post sums up just about everything else, thanks for taking the time to tell it from all the different angles, Tyler!!!
M.Jones

Post by M.Jones »

Thanks, Tyler! I appreciate the feedback. I have run into the same problem in this area, lathes on CL are like gold. You have also given me plenty to think about, I've read your post twice now just to make sure I haven't missed anything. I'm leaning towards the PM1236 but am a little worried about making such a large purchase before I have the chops. I just don't want to get into a situation where I have to buy twice, I've done that before on other things and it almost never works out to my advantage.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Vermont Freehand wrote:
Tyler wrote: Large metal only, used iron: There is no doubt great deals can be found in this category. Remember though, success in this category has a strong regional component. I watched Craig's list fairly regularly for 4+ years and was never successful. My area just didn't have used lathes. Also, in this category you do have to know enough to not get bitten by a worn out lathe. The good news is what we are doing is relatively easy, but buying crap is painful. Plus, I HATE working on tools instead of pipes. I consider myself very lathe ignorant. For those reason I was very nervous about used. Had I found a big name lathe on the cheap that looked clean, I would definitely would have taken the plunge, but I didn't. I watched a LOT. I didn't go this route. It can be a great deal.
FWIW, old iron is cheap enough for machine shops to buy super cheap and fix them up to sell them. I live in a little town in VT and know of 2 places within a 2 hour drive that do this. I'm sure it's a lot easier in bigger towns more than 3,000 people. They completely go through the machine, replace bearings, wicks, etc. They have THE best knowledge about the machine and often sell the refurbished ones much cheaper than a new one.

But, Tyler's post sums up just about everything else, thanks for taking the time to tell it from all the different angles, Tyler!!!
To clarify my regional comment, I'm not talking population numbers or centers. I'm talking regions of the country. Northeast? Midwest? Industrial areas covered up with used equipment. Southwest? Good luck. I would do ebay searches within 500 miles of my house. Usually there would be about 2 or 3 lathes in the size and price range we are talking about, and obviously I never saw anything worth chasing. 500 miles.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tyler wrote:I would do ebay searches within 500 miles of my house. Usually there would be about 2 or 3 lathes in the size and price range we are talking about, and obviously I never saw anything worth chasing. 500 miles.
That's because half of a 1000 mile diameter circle centered on Midland is Mexico, and the other half is the Texas panhandle and that place where the first atomic bomb was set off.

Well, except for Dallas, I guess, but they don't use lathes down there. Everybody makes their living off cowboy boots, longhorn steers, and oil.

:lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Tyler wrote:I would do ebay searches within 500 miles of my house. Usually there would be about 2 or 3 lathes in the size and price range we are talking about, and obviously I never saw anything worth chasing. 500 miles.
That's because half of a 1000 mile diameter circle centered on Midland is Mexico, and the other half is the Texas panhandle and that place where the first atomic bomb was set off.

Well, except for Dallas, I guess, but they don't use lathes down there. Everybody makes their living off cowboy boots, longhorn steers, and oil.

:lol:

My point exactly!

:D
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

M.Jones wrote: I'm leaning towards the PM1236 but am a little worried about making such a large purchase before I have the chops.
this
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

wisemanpipes wrote:
M.Jones wrote: I'm leaning towards the PM1236 but am a little worried about making such a large purchase before I have the chops.
this
I agree with wiseman. I'm letting the market vote for my existence as a pipe maker - the market should also dictate the type of machines you use if any machines at all. Slow and steady. That being said I'm still going to put a down payment for that particular lathe because I don't just make pipes...metal lathes are mighty useful for all kinds of shit.

Cheers,
Matt
M.Jones

Post by M.Jones »

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate all of the information as well as your opinions. I see that lathe as priced really well for what you get. I've thought about it and it's all context. I spent $2400 on my bicycle (Bianchi Sempre), $500 for custom hand built wheels, $300 for a Garmin Edge 500 GPS for it, and another $250 on a helmet. Not counting jerseys, organized ride costs, etc. I think I have more money in my bicycle than I would on the initial cost of that metal lathe, and I am not even close to what could be considered "pro." I just love cycling and it takes me to some really interesting places and fun charity rides.

Maybe I am trying to talk myself into buying one? I don't know, but I do appreciate everyone's feedback.
Last edited by M.Jones on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knotthome

Post by Knotthome »

Hey M.Jones I am new to posting on here and fairly new to pipe making. I started with a HF mini metal lathe and that let me do somethings that I couldn't do on my wood lathe but it mainly let me know that I needed to sell and upgrade. I just took some training and used a PM 1127 and it was great. I did try to order it but it is out about 3 months so I went with the PM10x30 http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html
It comes with a lot of tooling and I added the quick change. I will have a bit over $2100 with stand and shipping. I think it will service me well for a while but if you can do the 12x36 go for it:)
~Randy:)
Alden

Post by Alden »

Buy what you want and can afford. You want a PM, by all means buy it. Hell, I would if it was an option.
M.Jones

Post by M.Jones »

Knotthome wrote:Hey M.Jones I am new to posting on here and fairly new to pipe making. I started with a HF mini metal lathe and that let me do somethings that I couldn't do on my wood lathe but it mainly let me know that I needed to sell and upgrade. I just took some training and used a PM 1127 and it was great. I did try to order it but it is out about 3 months so I went with the PM10x30 http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html
It comes with a lot of tooling and I added the quick change. I will have a bit over $2100 with stand and shipping. I think it will service me well for a while but if you can do the 12x36 go for it:)
~Randy:)
Thanks! I would love to hear how the 10x30 works out for you!
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

I've been thinking about buying a lathe in the next couple weeks, but the major dilemma I'm facing is how to hell to get it in the basement. I'm considering the PM 1236 but 1250 pounds would be almost impossible to get down the stairs. Of those that own one, can this be taken apart to make the weight more manageable and without messing it up?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

cmueller wrote:I've been thinking about buying a lathe in the next couple weeks, but the major dilemma I'm facing is how to hell to get it in the basement. I'm considering the PM 1236 but 1250 pounds would be almost impossible to get down the stairs. Of those that own one, can this be taken apart to make the weight more manageable and without messing it up?
Well, the good news is the lathe itself (w/o stand and shipping packaging) is only ~850 lbs. so you can just carry it down. :)

I'm sure the lathes itself comes apart, (somehow, there has to be a way) but I'm also pretty sure it is not a job I'd want. It certainly doesn't appear to be design for easy separation and portability.
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Only 850, that's easy, haha. Thanks Tyler for the info
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

If you're a lathe repair expert you can pretty much take the machine apart into a hundred elements, then transport it and put it back together where it's gonna stay. The heaviest parts (lathe bed, gearbox) would be light enough to be lifted by two men.
However, if you're not a lathe repair expert, don't even touch any of the bolts or you're gonna have a very hard time setting it up correctly.
If you're confident about your basement becoming your workshop for at least several years, then you could consider hiring someone to do the dismantling and set up work for you.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

M.Jones wrote:Thanks for all of the great replies! I did do a little searching on craigslist and found this for $2900 OBO. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/wan/4233338231.html

I'll definitely watch the videos and read all that was recommended. I want to buy once, I don't want to end up having to buy bigger down the road.
Hmm, you in Atlanta?
M.Jones

Post by M.Jones »

Yep!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

There is a nice 10x20 new at Quality tools , A PM, well made with a lot of extras.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

M.Jones wrote:Yep!
Same here. Maybe we can get together for a drink.
M.Jones

Post by M.Jones »

Sounds good, what part of town are you in? Sorry I haven't been on the forums in a while.