anyone use one of these

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
pipedreamer

Re: anyone use one of these

Post by pipedreamer »

I use other tools for facing,Look at Mcmasters,they have a lot of really accurate tooling.There are many references to facing on the Forum.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Do you have a lathe?

andrew
J Crawford

Post by J Crawford »

I have an aircraft counterbore with a 3/16" drill bit I used starting out for drilling and facing bamboo by hand. It appears to be
basically the same thing. The pin must be for a pen making application. I have never used it for anything else in regards to pipe making. For facing a stummel a forsner bit or facing tool would probably make more sense and cost less if you have a lathe.

Jerry
Last edited by J Crawford on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Yoo Suk

Post by Jon Yoo Suk »

andrew wrote:Do you have a lathe?

andrew
yes, a cheap Chinese one, that has had some upgrading, although it is fast turning into a pile of poo as i have worked it to death making parts for fishing reels.
I normally just face off like i would turning round bar but it is not that accurate.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Well, that's not good. If you can't face off with your turret I'm not going to hold out much hope for the tailstock. Do you have a chuck for your tailstock?

andrew
Jon Yoo Suk

Post by Jon Yoo Suk »

andrew wrote:Well, that's not good. If you can't face off with your turret I'm not going to hold out much hope for the tailstock. Do you have a chuck for your tailstock?

andrew
Its ok, just not up to top grade finish.

Yes, 13mm Jacobs.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've not used that particular one but I have used a lot of the counterbores sold by Fuller. They do okay for certain applications.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

So are you trying to face bamboo or stummels or other stuff?

andrew
Jon Yoo Suk

Post by Jon Yoo Suk »

andrew wrote:So are you trying to face bamboo or stummels or other stuff?

andrew
Stummels and mouth pieces, i dont like the look of bamboo, i work mostly in very old Pearwood, taken from over a fireplace in a 200plus year old house, bowls do not get hot incredible piece of wood, still have a piece 6fert long by 8inches x 8inches, also use some Olive