9" South Bend Lathe for Sale

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Red

9" South Bend Lathe for Sale

Post by Red »

I've noticed quite a bit of interest in lathes of late, so thought I'd throw this in the ring for consideration. I have a great old 9" South Bend Workshop lathe for sale on Ebay (eBay item number:231145233745). It is listed as "Lathe - South Bend 9" ".

It's in excellent condition, and the ways and slides, bearings, etc, show very little wear for a machine of any age, much less an oldie. It has been completely disassembled, cleaned, painted, reassembled (that's important, you know..), and is cranking out work on a very substantial workbench I designed and built of solid wood. I have pictures of the shafts, bearings and internals that I took during the refurbishment process to show their excellent condition.

I have it listed at $1,850 for the lathe and about $500-$600 for the table, but this is just a starting point for "make offer". I will let it go (to members of this forum only, of course) for the shockingly low price of....well, trust me. Give me a call and we'll talk. I really will go down quite a bit, particularly if I can find someone near the DFW, Texas area and can avoid the shipping hassles.

The machine is well-tooled. tight and accurate, with plenty of weight to turn pipes - good old American iron. Please see pics on Ebay.

BTW - I also have a very clean, late model Emco FB2 milling machine that I'm going to sell soon. If anyone has an interest, please let me know.
wdteipen

Re: 9" South Bend Lathe for Sale

Post by wdteipen »

Man that's a nice lathe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

These lathes are perfect for pipe makers. They're just the right size IMO. I have a model A just like it but it has the quick change gears for cutting threads. It's belt driven which is great for the noob is machinist because if you mess up and try to hog to much material or get your are caught in it it will slip the belt and you won't loose your limbs LOL or destroy your tooling or gears. I've been running lathes since I for almost 20 years and I prefer these for such things as pipe making.
Last edited by N.Burnsworth on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Oh, and very nice restore job, I like your paint scheme on it.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar