Shop Aprons

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
BobR

Shop Aprons

Post by BobR »

I saw a video somewhere recently and it looked like the guy had a nice higher end shop apron (with nice shoulder straps) that you could just brush off the sawdust or whatever. The cotton ones I use obviously get dirty and I wait way to long to wash them. Anyone use something of a superior material that sawdust or other materials don't stick to.? If so, are they comfortable to wear?

Thanks!
Bob
dogcatcher

Re: Shop Aprons

Post by dogcatcher »

I use a light weight leather welder's apron because I use a Foredom for shaping. If I screw up and the burr hits the leather it won't bunch up in the leather like it does with cloth and bust the inner cable. I also wear a leather glove on my leather hand, if I touch the leather glove, I get that micro second warning to keep from tearing up my hide.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I wear clothing suitable for casual attire while making pipes. I don't start making pipes looking like a factory worker. Why? I have a great dust collection set-up. At the end of the day, I shoot myself off with the air compressor gun and am ready to go.
There's no need to be dirty in your shop. Hell, I could wear a tux and go party!
Just remember that the crap in the air, that isn't collected, ends up on your clothing and IN YOUR LUNGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The best money spent is for dust collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BAW
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

-
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I wear a leather shop apron, too. I love it. No washing required. I just blow it off with the air compressor at the end of the day.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BobR

Post by BobR »

Shaping is not the problem. I do have a vac but it's the hand sanding sitting at the bench where I get dirty... and I'm not saying horribly dirty. For me, it's nice not to have to change clothes when I work on my pipes. I guess the better you get the less hand sanding you do. :)

I did look at McMaster-Carr and saw the leather aprons but was unsure if they was uncomfortable.
Bob
andrew

Post by andrew »

I'll second Bruce's suggestion. I don't use an apron anymore, and my clothes stay clean. Just drop a shop rag over your lap, that'll keep most everything off your clothes.

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

Dust collection is your (and by extension your lungs) friend.

andrew
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I use an apron. Cut from baby seal belly-skin, probably took damn near thirty of those little fuckers to make it cover my belly. I like the apron because I can hold a pipe on my chest and tool it if I need to and nothing sticks to it - prevents stain accidents etc.

Dust collection is important, vital even, but wearing an apron has little to do with that in my shop - it's more a protective layer if something shot off the lathe, a place to stick a pencil, protection from various fluids etc than it is about not getting dusty.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:I use an apron. Cut from baby seal belly-skin, probably took damn near thirty of those little fuckers to make it cover my belly.
As in... Image x30???
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote: protection from various fluids etc
Yuck.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I use a padded flak vest from motocrossing days , a glove and good dust protection.
I get so dirty when making stems I smell like a rubber tire.Rinse myself off with a hose, :) put on my tuxedo and drink beer.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Yup, those are the ones. Sas used the ones I had left over from making my buffing wheels :twisted:

I'm just glad the extras didn't go to waste.

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

Kitten fur didn't last as long as baby seal.

andrew
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

andrew wrote:Kitten fur didn't last as long as baby seal.
Image You pipe smokers are beasts. Beasts, I say!
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

I make my pipes "Buck wild" :shock: thanks to dust collection I would show a pic but I think this is a family program
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
BobR

Post by BobR »

So, I'm kind of impulsive on these things at times but I found a Hobart leather welding apron on Amazon for only $17.99 and free two day shipping so I ordered it.

The leather is about 34.5" long so I think It'll be nice medium length. Thanks for the inputs. I think I'm going to like the leather. Now I can wear my tux with continence ... oops, confidence (spell checkers :roll: ) while I work before the opera.
Bob
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

When I remember to put it on, I wear a good leather apron that I got from a place I used to work. The guy that ran the big metal shear wore one for safety so it's heavy with double shoulder straps. It's comfortable and cleans off easily.

I do a lot of metal work on the lathe and use a mill too so the apron works real good for that.

I do also have a dust collector set up and it's does help a lot when it comes too keeping the dust out of the shop.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I want a cool leather apron. People might take me seriously then. I guess I should buy dust collection first though. Any suggestions on units?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
BobR

Post by BobR »

Harbor Freight sells a decent dust collector for 199 and you can always use a 20% off coupon. I replaced the bag with a super high efficiency filter based on other comments here and it works great. It's powerful and near clean room filtration for about a 350.00 investment.
Bob