Oneway Talon Spigot Jaws Wobble

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Walldepartment

Oneway Talon Spigot Jaws Wobble

Post by Walldepartment »

Material wobbles in my spigot jaws. At first, if I kept loosening and retightening the stock in the jaws, it would magically be fine and spin perfectly. Over time, it got worse. Now, 99% of the time, the stock wobbles off center. I can't drill a piece of delrin on center and it's really annoying. How to fix this?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Oneway Talon Spigot Jaws Wobble

Post by KurtHuhn »

There's a couple things at play here.

The first is that you're using a 4-jaw chuck. While this can work, and does work in some cases, it's not the same as using a 3-jaw chuck. 4-jaw scroll chucks just don't center as well as 3-jaw chucks, and will always position the material slightly off-center.

Second, the spigot jaws are made of a pretty soft steel, and they will bend - making it difficult to get a good grip, let alone a precision grip, on rod stock. If even one of your jaws gets bent outward, your stock will wobble.

For a long time I used a oneway chuck with spigot jaws for rod stock work. I don't anymore, for both reasons above. I suspect that, if it used to hold securely, and now it doesn't, you've got a bent jaw or two.

--K
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Walldepartment

Post by Walldepartment »

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the info.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I had that problem with my 4 jaw chuck I use for stems..........two of my jaws were loose :lol: tightened em up and haven't had a problem since :wink:

I use this chuck exclusively for rodstock and always have, maybe that helps?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

You didn't mention the kind of lathe, I'm guessing a mini/midi wood lathe?

There is a thick, flat washer/spacer that goes over the spindle, behind the chuck. Not using that spacer can cause the condition you describe.