PIMO Drilling Jig

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
amindtobemolded

PIMO Drilling Jig

Post by amindtobemolded »

I have been lurking about the forum for a few months and have almost completed my first pipe (from a kit). I recently received a few blocks of briar that I ordered from Mark Tinsky and have begun the process of preparing them to be drilled, all three will be straight billiards (or as close as I can get).

I do not have a lathe or a drill press but was hoping to make a drilling jig like the one in the PIMO pipemaking book. I tried a search but couldn't find anything written about it, has anybody made one? Does it work well enough for a hobbyist pipe maker? I am not really settled down so I do not want to buy a drill press because I may move within the next year and a half. If you have made one could you let me know what you used to fasten the drill to the block. The book simply calls for "small drill stands" but I can't find anything online or in stores.

P.S. Please excuse my username! I wanted to imply that I was willing to learn but it seems that I have come off as more of a lemming willing to toss himself off of a cliff at anybodies suggestion. I assure you I am not a lemming! haha, But I will certainly appreciate and consider all advice while I interact with others on the forum.
Sasquatch

Re: PIMO Drilling Jig

Post by Sasquatch »

I have nothing against lemmings.

I know the kind of thing you mean, but I haven't seen one in a long time, a little stand to hold a drill in.... I just punched that into ebay and got a LOT of cheap results

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/drill-stand

Pipemaking comes down to one operation being done successfully and that is fitting the stem to the shank somehow and having everything fit good. Lots of ways to do it, but the all involve machine precision, in the form of either a drill press or a lathe, or something that emulates those things. So you're on a track that will theoretically get you where you want to go. Why not just buy a used drill press and sell it if you wind up moving - you won't lose much or anything. You don't need a huge 500 pound floor-standing model to make pipes either.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
amindtobemolded

Post by amindtobemolded »

Thanks for the input Sasquatch. I think I'll keep my eyes open for a drill press on craigslist. I hadn't thought about how difficult it might be to fit my stems and shanks together by hand (especially as a beginner). Could explain part of the reason why I have had trouble thus far.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Place your location in your profile, you might have someone next door that would be willing to give a hand up in getting started.