Files Help Needed

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Growley

Files Help Needed

Post by Growley »

I'm hoping you can help me out. I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get some good files. I'm using them only for stem work, but I'm finding that I'm using them a lot lately. I need some help identifying what works best for our hobby. I'd like a set that takes me from rough shaping to fine tuning. What all do I need? What brands are the best? I know the best will cost me, but that's ok.

So, what do you use that you love, or what would you love to have yourself some day?

Thanks.

Brian.
pipeguy

Re: Files Help Needed

Post by pipeguy »

As far as files go just about anything not made in China will work well all shapes all styles you will probably find a use for. Also machinists files that have a blind end or face will be invaluable.The good news is that you don't have to buy them all new there are old school American made available at yard sales and flea markets for short money :) There is is also a company in Portugal that makes files that Tom Eltang swears by but the name escapes me.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

pipeguy wrote:As far as files go just about anything not made in China will work well all shapes all styles you will probably find a use for. Also machinists files that have a blind end or face will be invaluable.The good news is that you don't have to buy them all new there are old school American made available at yard sales and flea markets for short money :) There is is also a company in Portugal that makes files that Tom Eltang swears by but the name escapes me.
Cool, thanks. I'm looking into the Portugal made files now.

Brian.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use Nichols files because that's what the local place carries and they work really well. For shaping the stem I use a double cut bastard file, and a smooth cut lathe file for final shape tuning and bringing everything together. From there I use Tropic Shine nail files that I get from Sally Beauty - 180 (white), 220/320 (blue), and 400/600 (pink).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I also use the nichols files and sally's 100 and up nail files.One file I really like is called a wax file.I get these on amazon or e-bay.They work really well on briar also.You of course can spend what You like, but these get the job done.The wax file is around 10 dollars.At Sally's get the discount card and save a lot over a year. note wax files are vulcrylic. :thumbsup:
Last edited by pipedreamer on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I have not tried them yet, but the vulcrylic files seem to be the best suited for stems. Technique and pressure will allow you to use just one file to do the entire stem from roughing to detail work.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I like the Iwasaki files for taking briar off quickly. For everything else I like the Swiss Grobet line. Their "Vulcrylic" is especially good on just as the name implies: vulcanite and acrylic.
Chas.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I like a file with a motor ;)
Growley

Post by Growley »

Perfect. Thanks guys. I think I'll give the Swiss Grobet Vulcrylic a try. They sound pretty good. I don't use files on the briar at all, so these sound like the winners for stems.

I appreciate your help!

Brian.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Grobet makes good files.
Nicholson are ok, but their new stuff is so-so.
Your best bet for buying what you want is ottofrei.com.

andrew
andrew

Post by andrew »

They're not cheap, but grobet makes better files than just about anyone out there. They sell to jewlers and aircraft industry, etc.

andrew
Growley

Post by Growley »

ORDERED!!! Got the Grobet 6" Equalling 0,2, and 4. That should should do it pretty well. Any time I can get a high quality tool (or 3 in this case) for under $100 bucks, I'm pretty happy.

Thanks again for your help.

Brian.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Good choice on the Grobets.
- Steve S.
BobR

Post by BobR »

Growley wrote:ORDERED!!! Got the Grobet 6" Equalling 0,2, and 4. That should should do it pretty well. Any time I can get a high quality tool (or 3 in this case) for under $100 bucks, I'm pretty happy.

Thanks again for your help.

Brian.
I'm confused. What files did you buy? I thought you were going to get the wax file. Just curious.
Bob
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

If anyone needs / wants the Portuguese files Tom Eltang uses i have a store just around the corner that sells them.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Harbor freight ftw!
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

bregolad wrote:Harbor freight ftw!
:lol: