Drilling alignment problem

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
JuanPablo30

Re: Drilling alignment problem

Post by JuanPablo30 »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:JuanPablo- If that is the same drill press as one that I have owned, which I'm 95% sure it is, your table is probably not sitting flush. You need to lift up on the table as you tighten the clamp, or else you will get a slight incline, especially with the weight of that cross slide vise on the table. Based on my many years of using that model, I'd like to save you a lot of headaches and suggest you return it, save up another $100, and get a halfway decent press, or another $200 and get a really good one. This model is not made for precision work.
Hi, thank you for your advice. This is the 10" Ryobi drill press. Is this the one you had? If this is the case I will consider replacing. What brand and model do you recommend?
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

That is the same one. I currently don't own one. I sold the one I had when I got my lathe. Maybe someone else can recommend a good model?
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:That is the same one. I currently don't own one. I sold the one I had when I got my lathe. Maybe someone else can recommend a good model?
My dad own a lathe I can use but I have a hard time trying to center blocks and stems. It has a 3 jaw chuck. I've seen a special chuck for stems but can't find it because I don't know the name.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Like a lot of pipemaking tools, that "special chuck" have to be fabricated and can't be had from a shelf.
Regarding the drillpress: I also had a little Ryobi way back. It worked sort of, but was a piece of crap. There is play in the table, even when tightened down properly. It doesn't stay level, especially under pressure.
Alden

Post by Alden »

The table sagging under weight of the vise makes more sense than any other theory in this thread.
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

Althoug the drill might not be a high quality and precision machine, I take most of the blame here. Instead of trying to level the block on the vise, I tried lining the edge of the vise grip with the lines I draw around the block. It seems that I was twisting the block enough to drill the air hole at an slight angle. I've drill 6 blocks using the new method and it has worked for me. Thank you all for your help. :)

JP.