J Alan Design Tools

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
e Markle

J Alan Design Tools

Post by e Markle »

I'm sure most of you have already heard, but Jeff Gracik has produced some great tools that are tailored to meet our needs. They will be available through several retail channels; at the very least, I know Pipe Makers Emporium is carrying them. It sounds like there are some others who will be offering them as well (those of you on this forum, please comment below - I don't want to out anyone who may still be in process/uncertain).

He's offering four sizes of spoon bits (11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8), two sizes of military mount bits (I believe 3/8 & 1/2) as well as some 4 inch acrylic french wheels. As I understand it, the prices have been standardized, so you can go to your favorite supplier without worrying about comparing prices.

The spoon bits and french wheels are the cheapest I've seen. I didn't buy any french wheels as I already have plenty, but the bits cut very nicely.
PremalChheda

Re: J Alan Design Tools

Post by PremalChheda »

I have them in stock at my shop and if you find yourself coming through the Columbus, Ohio area, you can test them and see them in action in the workshop.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I bought and used the military bit already.

The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

That's a slick billiard!

I need to get me some of this stuff!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yo, Image ...

What material is the extension made of?

Asking because there's a good reason most old mil-bit pipes had a cap or band.

(Always thinking of longevity issues, me.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The cap is faux horn acrylic. I figured it would be able to withstand that stress. This was my first go at it. Always open to suggestions.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Acrylic is the right material as long as the stem is anything BUT.

Just be aware that the world has plenty of idiots who take military bits as a personal challenge to break or freeze (they're from the same DNA as those "bonecrusher" hand shakers you come across from time to time, I expect), and the resulting problem will be viewed in the idiot's mind as your fault.

Shielding the joint from wetness & etc with SS tubing is recommended in any event. I've seen many of those mil-bit extensions simply come off.

My recommendation is if you like mil-bits and plan on making a lot of them, stick to metal bands and caps.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks for the advice George. Metal caps, however, seem to be much trickier to fit, and I haven't yet found a supplier of the ones I like. Any guidance on that aspect? Maybe this would be more appropriate for its own thread.
maddis

Post by maddis »

If the "extension" is attached to the briar via a tenon that extends the majority of the way through the cap (i.e., to just short of the point at which the bit is inset), how is it more likely to come off, compared to a band with a flush mount non-mil stem? I'm not disputing - just not understanding.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I have one of his 3/4 bits and the 3/8 military that I bought directly from him. I got a flyer from PME noting that they were carrying them along with the wheel. Definitely spreading them around.
I used a 1/2" pilot for the spoon. I must say it left a very smooth finish. I've not yet tried the military cutter.
Chas.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

maddis wrote:If the "extension" is attached to the briar via a tenon that extends the majority of the way through the cap (i.e., to just short of the point at which the bit is inset), how is it more likely to come off, compared to a band with a flush mount non-mil stem? I'm not disputing - just not understanding.
Depends on the construction method used. Some are definitely better than others. No matter how secure, though, having disparate materials comprise the shank is a mechanical problem by its nature, and the outward pressure caused by a wedge jammed into such composite constructions---together with the cycling humidity and temperature changes caused by smoking---will find the weak link in the chain eventually. De-lamination and/or cracking, usually.

With normal use, a conscientious owner, and the method you describe, a pipe ought to last a good while with no problems. Change that to a ham-fisted owner who stores his pipes wet, not so much.

Most first timers to the design just put a tenon on the extension and glue it to the shank. Such a simple method is not recommended. (Though there are some $1000+ per pipe guys doing it that way out there, don't be tempted... such pipes find their way to me with depressing regularity.)

Again, the only bulletproof way to do a mil-bit that I know of is a properly-fitted cap or band. There is probably some way to do it with SS tubing inside a Delrin sleeve or something that's as good, but I haven't seen it yet.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I saw them on PME and they look pretty damn good. Anybody have an idea how much they're going for?
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I'll be carrying these items also, they should arrive in a couple days.

We are really fortunate to have Jeff design these to his specs. He has thought them out very well.

I am allowed to post pics and prices after I receive the box in a couple days. The prices all us vendors are using are very fair and will be lower than most other similar items you see from time to time.

I'm 99% sure the french wheel should fit onto a Beall arbor.

free domestic shipping on all J. Alan tools at Vermont Freehand.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Steve, any chance of some detailed pictures of all the tools, the PME pics are a bit small and lacking detail. Not sure if I want to buy anything yet but before I do I want to see what I would be getting lol.
Vermont Freehand

When they arrive in a couple days, I will post detailed pics and pricing. I can assure you that they have been designed very well and are of the highest caliber for pipe making. You won't have to adjust relief cuts like you do with other spoon bits you see around. There's a bunch of guys who already have them, so maybe someone will chime in with a pic or two
Vermont Freehand

awesome pictures courtesy of J&J pipes
Attachments
DSC_0237.jpeg
DSC_0237.jpeg (70 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
DSC_0227.jpeg
DSC_0227.jpeg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
DSC_0215.jpeg
DSC_0215.jpeg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Vermont Freehand

more awesome pictures courtesy of J&J Pipes
Attachments
DSC_0253.jpeg
DSC_0253.jpeg (107 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
DSC_0250.jpeg
DSC_0250.jpeg (110.07 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

VH --- Is the die cut sandpaper Jeff's too? If so, what grits does it come in?
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

LatakiaLover wrote:VH --- Is the die cut sandpaper Jeff's too? If so, what grits does it come in?
Jeff said hewill have the laser cut paper available at some point.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I think it's time for me to try using a french wheel, this one looks like something I'd like to have in my shop. I understand it only comes as a flat disc, no convex ones?