Cheap BeltSander

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
lancefisher51

Cheap BeltSander

Post by lancefisher51 »

Although I still plan to do most work by hand (just because I simply believe as a beginner you should start with basics) I went out an got a cheap belt sander from Wal-Mart an simply placed it upside down inside the clamp. The belt sander has a trigger lock on it but only one speed. Cheap but at least it will work. Might not be the safest thing out there but as long as I'm careful I should good. Besides I'm not gonna use it much, just once an a while when hand is sick of carving. :)

Lance
Using Tapatalk
lancefisher51

Re: Cheap BeltSander

Post by lancefisher51 »

Wanted to add, didn't mean for that to sound like i got sander because as beginner you need to learn basics. Im only useing this rarely just to make a little things easier when hand cramps up from hrs of carving.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
Jos

Post by Jos »

Back in 2008, I started with a belt sander of that very type. You're gonna find out that its possibilities are very limited. I then switched to a sander of this kind:
... and kept working with it up to now. Not feeling an urge to switch to a disk sander, or stuff ...

Jens
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Man I never thought about bringing out my belt sander. I do have a lathe. But I'm going to try stems now so maybe I'll flip that sander over. So it begins once a week to the hardware store. Just a drill bit or two, maybe a little more sand paper. Better get 600 grit don't have any 600. What kind of stain? No dye use the leather dye. When will it end. Oh look a package from mark BRIAR!!!! And tracking number for that order from Steve delrin comin in. Whahoo no more start cutting!

Oh and hey lance don't play the might not be too safe card. According to Facebook you are sponsored by BAND-AID brand band aids. Hope you're well be safe. I got my briar in so I'll post a piece maybe in the next week.

Sent from my banana phone.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Get some earmuffs as well!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Charl wrote:Get some earmuffs as well!
Plus jury rig a shop vac hose w/funnel near that thing, or at least wear a mouth & nose mask.

Fine briar dust is no joke.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Charl wrote:Get some earmuffs as well!
What?

lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

I deff need to get some masks... I work at hospital so I snagged a box of the masks the pts wear. I have no intention on using this style/method for hardly anything. I was just tinkering around. I did see a bandanas like that on ebay but didn't have money at that moment. Soon enough. Until then its the basics with hand saw an files :)

Lance
Using Tapatalk
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Doing great