Finally restoring my Craftsman 109

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
scotties22

Finally restoring my Craftsman 109

Post by scotties22 »

So I know its teeny tiny, but it is going to be dedicated to stems. For younz that follow me on IG you have seen some of these pictures already.

Here is a before picture from when I got this lathe in July. It's been sitting in a box under my workbench since then.

Tear down begins

All painted and ready for reassembly tomorrow.

The ways are in great shape and just needed a touch with some wd40 and a scotchbright pad. Luckily the rust wasn't too deep on the feet. And so far I have about $150 into it so it was crazy cheap. What's bad is a chuck for it is going to cost me more than that :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
sethile

Re: Finally restoring my Craftsman 109

Post by sethile »

Looks like a fun project, Scottie! Should make a great little lathe for stem work.... Bet it's way better, and is certainly much cooler than the little 7x12 Chinese lathe I had in the beginning for stem work.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Alden

Post by Alden »

All you need is a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for stems, you can pick up a chinese one pretty cheap on Ebay.
I started using a 4 jaw chuck for stems and like it better than the 3 jaw I have always used.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Thanks Scott. I think it is a 6x16, but I really don't remember the bed length. Its super heavy for its size and should really be rigid.

The problem with getting a chuck is the adapter I need. The spindle is 1/2" x 20 tpi. I keep an eye out on ebay for chucks and haven't run across one that has that thread that's not rusted. I am actually thinking about getting an adapter from Oneway and putting my Oneway I use for stems on it. It would only cost me $75 that way.
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

before you spend out for a chuck and tooling, get yourself a Dial indicator and check that the shaft and spindle nose are not bent or anything, be a real shame to buy a chuck and then find it won't run true. Bent shaft is about the only bit of lathe mis-alignment that you can't fix.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

No worries, Chris. I have a brand new spindle for it. Before I bought it I found a place that sells parts for the 109 and nothing else (the reason I decided to go with this model). He hooked me up with a new spindle. I bought the lathe off ebay for $150 and then the seller sent me an email that the spindle was bent....I ended up getting it for $75.00.
www.ladybriar.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Scotties please remember to post pics of it complete.

Sent from my banana phone.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Ccoolee wrote:Scotties please remember to post pics of it complete.
NO...and don't ever ask again!!!! Sorry, thought one of my kids was asking for something for the 800th time in 2 minutes. :lol:

I sure will. I got the headstock cover back on the bed last night. I might try to get the headstock put back together this afternoon. We'll see how the day goes.
www.ladybriar.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

this is SOO awesome. I really want to restore a lathe one day soon and im a bit of a tool junky, so itd be up my alley.

as scott said, should be primo for stems. nice and heavy steel.

good luck on reassembly!

hopefully you don't have extra pieces at the end like I do when I reassemble stuff. famous last words "where the hell did this come from?!" :lol:

Evan
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

scotties22 wrote:No worries, Chris. I have a brand new spindle for it. Before I bought it I found a place that sells parts for the 109 and nothing else (the reason I decided to go with this model). He hooked me up with a new spindle. I bought the lathe off ebay for $150 and then the seller sent me an email that the spindle was bent....I ended up getting it for $75.00.

Ahh great stuff!
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

scotties22 wrote: NO...and don't ever ask again!!!! Sorry, thought one of my kids was asking for something for the 800th time in 2 minutes. :lol: .
Alright, I'll show off my immaturity. Ever see that episode of family guy.

Mom, mom, mom, mommy, mother, Lois, Lois, mom mommy.

Ha my favorite thanks

Sent from my banana phone.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

My mom was a real smart ass when it came to that. However many times I said her name was how many times she said my name back :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Do you have a motor? If not you might think about looking at the industrial sewing machine motors, they are servo motors that are variable speed and reversible. On my wood lathe I have a 3/4 Consew, not one of the best, but it works for me, on my next lathe conversion I plan on using a Sewquiet 5000, it supposed to have better torque in the slower speeds. But it will cost me a little more at $199 on Amazon.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I have an extra motor for my Rikon wood lathe I am going to use. Going to build (or buy) a countershaft for it.
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Neat little lathes they are, I have one just like it....err, mines all there though. Craftsman 109.2063
You can pick up the original 4 jaw chucks pretty easy and cheaply on eBay if you keep an eye out for under $100.
Looks like you'll need some other parts as well. If you haven't already check this site out, it's all about those lathes and parts.
http://www.homeshopsupply.com/index.html
I have a copy of the owners manual if you need it.
rdpipes.briar.club
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

RDPowell wrote:Neat little lathes they are, I have one just like it....err, mines all there though. Craftsman 109.2063
You can pick up the original 4 jaw chucks pretty easy and cheaply on eBay if you keep an eye out for under $100.
Looks like you'll need some other parts as well. If you haven't already check this site out, it's all about those lathes and parts.
Yeah, Bill is a great guy. I bought the new spindle and a few other things from him. Last time I talked to him he wasn't doing too well. I saw on his website that he is working a bit when he can. If I had the money I would buy his inventory and take over for him.

If I have any questions guess I know who to ask ;)
www.ladybriar.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

scotties22 wrote:
RDPowell wrote:Neat little lathes they are, I have one just like it....err, mines all there though. Craftsman 109.2063
Yeah, Bill is a great guy. I bought the new spindle and a few other things from him. Last time I talked to him he wasn't doing too well. I saw on his website that he is working a bit when he can. If I had the money I would buy his inventory and take over for him.

If I have any questions guess I know who to ask ;)
Sure! But I can't guarantee they'll be the right answers :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cute lathe, Scottie! If I were able to get something like that for a price like that, I would have been on it in a flash.