Files for Shaping/Opening Slots

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Albert.A

Re: Files for Shaping/Opening Slots

Post by Albert.A »

I use the mono tooth wax saw blades from ottofrei that LL linked to above. But I don't have a handle for them (mostly because I'm to lazy to bother making one. :lol: ) Works great just holding the blade in your hand! I believe I use the 1,3 mm one. :)

Albert.
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

i usually take a handle from an exacto knife and lock a filed down jigsaw blade in it and just used that then clean it up with a needle file and sandpaper. always worked just fine for me
BobR

Post by BobR »

Red, I bought some of those Lennox 320JC jig saw blades and they are very nice. I like them a lot.
Bob
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

BobR wrote:Red, I bought some of those Lennox 320JC jig saw blades and they are very nice. I like them a lot.
I'm happy you're trying that blade. I most like the fact they'll cut push or pull.
Chas.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I got a couple Kemper K31's in the mail today just to see if I like them better than my current process. They look pretty promising and they're cheap.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BobR

Post by BobR »

wdteipen wrote:I got a couple Kemper K31's in the mail today just to see if I like them better than my current process. They look pretty promising and they're cheap.

I have a hard time cutting a nice straight line with them. It's probably due to my inexperience. Let us know how it works for you.
Bob
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

wdteipen wrote:I got a couple Kemper K31's in the mail today just to see if I like them better than my current process. They look pretty promising and they're cheap.
Mine should be here in the next couple of days.

Sent from my banana phone.
socrates

Post by socrates »

I acquired some really cool file bits for my Dremels. Think, accurate and fast cutting. I got a pill bottle full cheap. I asked my Dentist what he did with the bits he uses to inflict pain. He handed me a boat load for free. I use them for everything and they work great.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

socrates wrote:I acquired some really cool file bits for my Dremels. Think, accurate and fast cutting. I got a pill bottle full cheap. I asked my Dentist what he did with the bits he uses to inflict pain. He handed me a boat load for free. I use them for everything and they work great.

Did you tell your dentist that you were making pipes with the bits?
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

sandahlpipe wrote:
socrates wrote:I acquired some really cool file bits for my Dremels. Think, accurate and fast cutting. I got a pill bottle full cheap. I asked my Dentist what he did with the bits he uses to inflict pain. He handed me a boat load for free. I use them for everything and they work great.

Did you tell your dentist that you were making pipes with the bits?
Told him I use them for jewelry, bone fish hook carving and other stuff. He had already sterilized them by the way. I did promise I wouldn't do any backyard dentistry LOL.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

BobR wrote:

I have a hard time cutting a nice straight line with them. It's probably due to my inexperience. Let us know how it works for you.
I still use the Dremel rotary bit to cut a guide. I sanded mine a little thinner. I then use a 3/64" drill bit to widen the bit end. The Kemper is tough to keep on track because it's so flexible but I have found it useful in widening the slot deeper so my modified jigsaw blade can get deeper and do it's magic. I don't use the Kemper to cut the bit end of the slot. It's too flexible but it sure does cut nicely. It's surprisingly aggressive.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

wdteipen wrote:
BobR wrote:

I still use the Dremel rotary bit to cut a guide. I sanded mine a little thinner. I then use a 3/64" drill bit to widen the bit end. The Kemper is tough to keep on track because it's so flexible but I have found it useful in widening the slot deeper so my modified jigsaw blade can get deeper and do it's magic. I don't use the Kemper to cut the bit end of the slot. It's too flexible but it sure does cut nicely. It's surprisingly aggressive.

Once you have screwed up with it about 100 times it is really easy to keep it cutting straight. I finally got it figured out and now cutting the slot takes just a few minutes.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The Kemper is tough to keep on track because it's so flexible but I have found it useful in widening the slot deeper so my modified jigsaw blade can get deeper and do it's magic. I don't use the Kemper to cut the bit end of the slot. It's too flexible but it sure does cut nicely. It's surprisingly aggressive.
+1
I'm always experimenting and looking for a better way but so far my favorite technique is the one I outlined earlier in this thread utilizing the #56 drill bit and the modified Lenox saber saw blade. The Kemper comes in handy for tweaking but I don't like it for cutting the main slot. To each his own.
Chas.