Rough edges on counter sink

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Tim Chilcott

Rough edges on counter sink

Post by Tim Chilcott »

A newbie here seeking advice on using the counter sink tool I just recently bought from Pimo. When I drill the counter sink bevel the edges are rough and a little uneven. My rpms on my drill press are set for the lowest, which 585 rpm. I wondered if I should set the press for a higher rpm? I did this with a pine block of wood to practice, the bevel seemed to be a little bit more smooth.
caskwith

Re: Rough edges on counter sink

Post by caskwith »

What does the counter sink look like?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think I've seen them. At any rate, what you need to do is make sure the cutting edge of the countersink is sharp. If it's tearing wood, it's dull. If it's off-center, make sure your stummel doesn't move between drilling the mortise and drilling the countersink. It could also be that your countersink is off-center itself, but I think the other factors are more likely.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Recently while working with some zebra wood it kept tearing out just a little. I took my favorite file to my forstner bit. Now it just lightly shaves.

Sent from my banana phone.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

"Zero Flute" countersinks are the best for pipe making.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

What size Zero Flute countersink would you need for a 5/16" mortice?
Mike
Tim Chilcott

Post by Tim Chilcott »

I suppose that if a countersink bit is new it doesn't necessarily mean it's sharp. I 'll check that, but the edges do seem sharp.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

DeflictedPipes wrote:What size Zero Flute countersink would you need for a 5/16" mortice?
Sorry to highjack the thread...
Can anyone help me out with this? I'm getting ready to order my block drilling bits. Does anyone know if the the PIMO counterbore a good deal?
Mike
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

DeflictedPipes,

The pimo tools will work ok for a hobbyist. I don't have any direct experience with their countersink. I think I got mine at a hardware store and it's about a half inch or so. Now I just use lathe tools to countersink since it's easier to get them sharp. You can also just use sandpaper if you're careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Countersinks will be listed with a range of sizes that they cover, just choose one that covers 5/16". Lots of places sell them, you can even get them on ebay, they are sometimes called chatter free or chatterless countersinks. They work much better than standard countersinks for wood because of their sharp edge.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

sandahlpipe wrote:The pimo tools will work ok for a hobbyist. I don't have any direct experience with their countersink. I think I got mine at a hardware store and it's about a half inch or so. Now I just use lathe tools to countersink since it's easier to get them sharp. You can also just use sandpaper if you're careful.
caskwith wrote:Countersinks will be listed with a range of sizes that they cover, just choose one that covers 5/16". Lots of places sell them, you can even get them on ebay, they are sometimes called chatter free or chatterless countersinks. They work much better than standard countersinks for wood because of their sharp edge.
Thanks guys! Maybe my pipes won't be deflicted for too much longer.
Mike