Another question about chuck jaws

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
E.L.Cooley

Another question about chuck jaws

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hi all,
This weekend I bought a nova g3. I didn't purchase any other jaws with intention of those funds going to a 2 jaws tower set. I've seen a couple different threads that you guys have talked about how good some sets are that you have.
I read a thread that smokingdawg had said he was making them and I emailed him. Have not gotten a response. But, the thread also he had a lot going on so I figure he just may be out.
I've also seen a few other names in threads of folks who make this jaw set up. But no contact info or price range. I understand maybe prices vary depending on customer and attitude. But, can any of you recommend someone to make a setup like that, and maybe provide a ballpark price range. So I am not a fool contacting someone and then backing out because it's too much for me now.
A PM is cool if you don't want it to be public.
I saw the ones Steve had made
I imagine those are out of my price range? Not sure any help would be appreciated. Sorry, this is a common question.
Eric

Sent from my banana phone.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Another question about chuck jaws

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Steve/smokingdawg is working on A set for me right now. He got called out of town for work and hasn't finished them yet. I'm sure he will contact you when he returns. I bought A set of tower jaws and personally think its A waste of money. for aprox. $20 more you can get A custom set that really has good gripping ability.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have a one way chuck and the tower jaws. It works well for most of what I do. Eventually, I'll probably upgrade to some custom jaws like what Trent Rudat puts out. I've seen people turn pipes with the cheapest independent 4-jaw chuck. Personally, I like having the self-centering functionality.

I think the one way setup can be had for around $250-$300 and I've seen custom jaws for $250 if you provide the chuck or about $400-$550 for a chuck with jaws. Some people like pins to index in case they remove the block and re chuck it. I've not done that though.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Solomon_pipes yeah I saw that his work sent him around quite a bit, so I wasn't panicking. What he had posted last year for prices is like you said only a little more than a nova jaw set. The ones that Steve Norse posted by Mark looked like they were out of my range for now. But, I think Steve smokingdawgs' would be a good start for me. Up until now I have been using the cheapest independent 4 jaw from grizzly. I did get crazy and weld some 1" steel square tubing to two of the jaws. Too much flex in the jaws. I decided preventing my own injury was worth the cost of a chuck and jaws.

Sandahlpipe those jaws from Trent look really good. I was hoping someone would throw out his contact info. See above for cheapest independent 4 jaw reference. They look pretty high end too but I think those had the indexing points on them, nice feature. I figure what ever I go with now will help me be a little more accurate and a safer both are worth the cost at this point.
Thanks for your help guys.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Trent's site is here: http://www.briarpipetooling.com/. I don't have the jaws myself, but I know some people who use them and are happy with them.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Thanks sandahlpipe

wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

I got a pair of Steve's jaws and though I have only used them five or six times (making a living is a bitch and takes a lot of time!), they are immensely better than the tower jaws I was using before and the cost is right! Am really happy with them.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Wmolaw nice thanks for the input I will be talking to him for sure