Drill Bits for Airways and Mortises

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
caskwith

Re: Drill Bits for Airways and Mortises

Post by caskwith »

I wouldn't bother buying a set of drills. All of my pipe making drills were bought individually. That way I was able to afford to buy really good quality drill bits. For really important holes I prefer Dormer, for less important I use Hertel as they are a bit cheaper. Split point for long drills as they self centre, stub drills for shorter holes and starting holes. For drilling an airway I may use as many as 5 drills but it's all very quick, you can see it in my pipe drill video.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Thanks! I like sets because they come in a nice container to keep them organized. Since I turn most of my tenons, I don't have to choose 1/4" or 5/16" bits and can vary the tenon diameter for the shank diameter, which means I use pretty much every bit at some point. Whatever I don't use for tenons, I use to drill shank extensions of varying sizes.

But sometimes, I'll agree with you and buy individual bits of special sizes or lengths. Sizes over 1/2" or lengths over 5" usually need to be bought individually for quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
eric

Post by eric »

For mortises, I've had good luck with an end mill.