Lathe Tooling Profiles

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DMI

Lathe Tooling Profiles

Post by DMI »

Seeing as I've finally got a lathe what profiles do you folks use for turning the stummel? Most of what came with the lathe is for screw cutting but they are long enough that I can chop off the ends and re-grind them.
Ocelot55

Re: Lathe Tooling Profiles

Post by Ocelot55 »

David, I found this site particularly helpful: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8-UXJF ... ItNW8/edit
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

That's very helpful indeed. There are a few videos on how to grind lathe tools as well. I have a couple of other tools I've made for turning shank extensions, but they are all derived from these basic shapes.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Thank You. John
Charl

Post by Charl »

Here's another: http://www.sherline.com/grinding.htm
I think it was Kurt that posted it way back.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Thanks guys, I found the second one much easier to understand.

So most of the profiles seem fairly standard are there no special shapes needed or it is a case of developing your own?

David.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You will possibly come up with your own designs once you understand what the principles are. Just make sure you don't have sharp corners. Round them over just a little bit. Too sharp and it will dig in just like the point of a knife. You want the cutting edge sharp, but you don't want sharp corners.

Also, I like to make a steeper angle than is typical for metal work. You don't need as sturdy a blade for ebonite and wood as for metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Start with the basic turning tools, you will soon learn what works and adapt/modify as needed. After a few years of this you will have a set of general purpose tools that you have developed yourself as well as a big pile of special purpose tooling. You don't wanna see my pile! lol
meathod

Post by meathod »

All great stuff here.

Has anyone here used the tool holders with the triangle inserts? The ones used for turning steel?
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Carbide insert tooling is not needed for pipe making, buy some lengths of HSS steel and a bench grinder, far more versatile and you will get a much better finish.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

for getting into tight spaces, here's a good picture of relief cuts
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
photo2.JPG
photo2.JPG (84.85 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

meathod wrote:All great stuff here.

Has anyone here used the tool holders with the triangle inserts? The ones used for turning steel?
Yes, but with high speed steel inserts rather than carbide.
Check out A.R. Warner Co. High quality stuff.
Chas.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

What on earth were you turning there Steve?

Funny this topic came up actually, it's been ages since I ground any "new" tools but in just the past week I think I have ground up 6 lol. Even after all these years you still need new shapes now and then.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

caskwith wrote:What on earth were you turning there Steve?

Funny this topic came up actually, it's been ages since I ground any "new" tools but in just the past week I think I have ground up 6 lol. Even after all these years you still need new shapes now and then.
this is a great profile for everything, especially the tight lines of a bent pipe, you can get in a ways with it
meathod

Post by meathod »

caskwith wrote:Carbide insert tooling is not needed for pipe making, buy some lengths of HSS steel and a bench grinder, far more versatile and you will get a much better finish.
I use Carbide for 70% of my turning, I love it, simple, fast. Leaves a fine finish. Though, they are just the cheap Carbide bits, nothin' special.

I've just been thinking about those inserts and feel like they would work well on hardwoods.

I still use HSS for all the weird shapes however.
oklahoma red wrote: Yes, but with high speed steel inserts rather than carbide.
Chas.
Hmm, maybe I'll check that out.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

meathod wrote:
caskwith wrote:Carbide insert tooling is not needed for pipe making, buy some lengths of HSS steel and a bench grinder, far more versatile and you will get a much better finish.
I use Carbide for 70% of my turning, I love it, simple, fast. Leaves a fine finish. Though, they are just the cheap Carbide bits, nothin' special.

I've just been thinking about those inserts and feel like they would work well on hardwoods.

I still use HSS for all the weird shapes however.
oklahoma red wrote: Yes, but with high speed steel inserts rather than carbide.
Chas.
Hmm, maybe I'll check that out.
They have carbide also to fit the same holders. I really like their profile holders.
Chas.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

The thing I don't like about carbide insert holders is that you are restricted to manufacturer shapes which are designed for metal work. To get the best with pipe making requires custom tools, trying to work with pre-made tooling usually results in either a poor finish or unnecessary work later one that could have been better achieved while still on the lathe.

Like with a lot of things though it's all down to personal preference, if it works for you and you and the results are good then happy days, for me I would rather invest (a much smaller amount) in a big pile of 3/8" HSS and a good bench grinder. Just yesterday I ground 3 tools to help shape a bent Rhodesian I was working on, no way I could have bought those tools off the shelf and in about 10-15mins I had a new set of tools that will either last me a lifetime or can be modified down the road for another job.