Taig motor blows shavings everywhere

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DeflictedPipes

Taig motor blows shavings everywhere

Post by DeflictedPipes »

I just got my Taig and was playing with it a bit and found that the motor fan blows ebonite threads everywhere. What creative solutions have you folks come up with to cut that down a bit? I'm thinking of putting some sort of skirt around the motor, or maybe turning it in the mount a quarter turn so it won't blow directly on the lathe.

It's worth mentioning something about the 4 jaw chuck for anyone who gets a Taig in the future. Clean it off before you spin it up. I put mine on and turned on the lathe to get a face full of grease and grease streaks splattered in a nice arc all across my workroom. :shock: I think someone is laughing somewhere every time they ship one of these things. :evil:
Mike
pipedreamer

Re: Taig motor blows shavings everywhere

Post by pipedreamer »

Put up a little shield, plastic, whatever. I didn't get any grease. I was trying to rub out a little rust startup and decided to coat the thing in phils tenacious oil. Next day Guess who got it everywhere? :filth-n-foul:
LatakiaLover

Re: Taig motor blows shavings everywhere

Post by LatakiaLover »

Beware the power of angular momentum.

I knew a guy who thought the easiest way to clean gunk from the bristles of a wire brush like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill-Too ... WT1P50TGNV

...was to chuck it in a drill press and spin it at 4000 rpm.

The thing snapped the shaft within a second (it became unbalanced at about 3/4 second when crap started to sling off unevenly), and went THROUGH a solid interior wall of his shop on its way to deeply denting the door of a car parked in the next bay. :shock:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.