Set Up

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
swilly

Set Up

Post by swilly »

Hey All,

I have a question about a sanding/buffing set-up. I've read over multiple threads (this one was particularly helpful http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewto ... tep+pulley) and I've decided that as a graduation present, I would treat myself to a nice beginner's setup. This is my current idea...

Get one of these Grizzlies
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G2527-Sin ... zzly+G2527

Then two of these 5/8" pillow blocks, which I will mount apart from each other
http://www.amazon.com/VXB-UCP202-10-Bea ... y_hi_img_z

And then a 36" steel rod, also 5/8" diameter
http://www.amazon.com/National-Hardware ... D7903RKQDB

Which I will then slip on the Beall Buffing Kit (says it takes 1/2" and 5/8").

To power the them, I plan on attaching a 4 step pulley to the motor and a four step to the steel rod extending from the two pillow blocks. I will also have a small-ish extension from the motor, where I plan on attaching a sanding disc. I can probably take off the band connencted to the steel rod/pillow block when I'm sanding so not everything is spinning.

How does that sound? Let me know if I'm not explaining it clearly... maybe I'll make a little MS paint diagram if that's the case.

Thanks so much!
Best,
Alex
sandahlpipe

Re: Set Up

Post by sandahlpipe »

I would try it. May be more complicated than what I have, but it should work if you plan out all the details.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
swilly

Post by swilly »

Here's a little ms attachment.

swilly

Post by swilly »

I'm not sure if this graphically represents what Kurt referenced in a different thread. Maybe it IS too complicated for a first set up, and maybe I should just get the motor and swap wheels/sanding disc?

As always, thanks for your input Sandahl
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think you're going to want a durable motor for this kind of setup. I don't know what your mechanical skills are like. I have plans to make a slack belt sander with a pulley system as well, but I think you may be best served by two machines for this. Unless you've got good dust collection, you're going to have to get the dust off your buffing wheels after sanding each time. I try to sand in a different area than my buffer to keep my wheels clean. Also, there's a good chance you will need an arbor on the motor that let's you quickly change between discs, unless you're going to have separate units for each kind of disc. I use four different sizes of sanding disc on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
swilly

Post by swilly »

Good point about the dust, I was thinking that might be a problem. I suppose in this case it would be best to just get the motor and an arbor to swap between all of the wheels. I just feel like 1750rpm might not be ideal for EVERY step, but I suppose there must be compromises at this stage in my pipe-making.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think you'll be fine for quite a while on the 1750. Like I said, you can slow down the surface speed with smaller diameter buffing wheels or smaller sanding discs. That still works for me after a solid year and a half. I know lots of guys use VFD's, but I don't feel a dire need for one yet. At the beginning, it's best to get good tools, but not every tool you need. Learn to improvise and you'll be a better craftsman in the long run. Tools don't make a pipe-you do. There are some makers who have all the tools one could wish for and still make ugly pipes. There are others who have minimal tools and make beautiful pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
swilly

Post by swilly »

I realize that the questions that I pose are general, run-of-the-mill newbie questions, so I really appreciate you taking the time to answer them Sandahl. I think the Grizzly and the buffing kit will the route I take. A gentle touch is all I'll need :D

Should've jumped on the beall kit deal last month... not sure why I waited X(

Best,
Alex
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

1750? Pah, 3000 more like ;)
swilly

Post by swilly »

I can already imagine shaving part of my thumb away at those speeds, haha. The scene shop I work at has a DeWalt Grinder and I shiver whenever I turn it on and imagine accidentally brushing up against it :o

Just placed the order for the Beall kit and stain kit on PME. Just waiting for that right "sensation" before jumping on the motor. I'm getting super excited. Heh, who needs a new computer when pipe-making tools are to be had?

Hopefully my boss lets me set these things up in a corner in the theatre scene shop....

-Alex
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

I had a setup like this many years ago. It's great for a guy who just wants a bunch of different wheels for no apparent reason!

DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

WCannoy wrote:I had a setup like this many years ago. It's great for a guy who just wants a bunch of different wheels for no apparent reason!

The Cannoy Buffing Command Center!
Mike
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

To Clarify:
Walt,
Is that a pulley system all the way to the left, running off the yellow motor in the rear?
And did the opposite side of the yellow motor have a grinding disc on it?

ps. love the shop lights!
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
BobR

Post by BobR »

WCannoy wrote:I had a setup like this many years ago. It's great for a guy who just wants a bunch of different wheels for no apparent reason!
Walt, you said "had". I think it would be beneficial to Alex to explain why it's not "have".

Alex, why do you want the system described above? What's wrong with using the Beall arbor the way it was meant to be used? Just swap out the wheels. I think it offers more flexibility and you can add a variable frequency drive in the future to control speed. I just don't see the benefit unless you spend a lot of time buffing. I don't think you'll like that sanding setup either.
Last edited by BobR on Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

seamonster wrote:To Clarify:
Walt,
Is that a pulley system all the way to the left, running off the yellow motor in the rear?
And did the opposite side of the yellow motor have a grinding disc on it?

ps. love the shop lights!
Yup! Except for the grinding disc part. At the time, the yellow motor had nothing on the other side.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

BobR wrote:
Walt, you said "had". I think it would be beneficial to Alex to explain why it's not "have".
Maybe not so beneficial an explanation... At one point, I had to sell my workshop and everything in it.
BobR

Post by BobR »

WCannoy wrote:
BobR wrote:
Maybe not so beneficial an explanation... At one point, I had to sell my workshop and everything in it.

Do you think there is any benefit to the average non-professional pipe maker having such a setup? You don't have a similar set up now ... why not? Specifically, are there technical reasons you chose not to repeat your old setup? :)
Bob
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

I have recently thought of setting up a similar but smaller station. My thought was to have the motor and step pulleys for speed adjustment but would only have one arbor for mounting sanding discs as well as buffing wheels. With commonly available step pulleys and a 1725 rpm motor, I can get the low speeds for buffing as well as 3000 plus rpms for the 36 grit shaping wheel. This of course means all of the sanding discs and buffing wheels will need the same thread size.

I can keep the buffing wheels in a closed box to keep the sanding dust off of them too.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Here's another approach: unless you're married to the idea of multiple wheels on a single shaft consider a single motor with a variable speed drive to do it all, rough shape, finish sand, buff, stir your drinks, whatever. One good vacuum set up does it all too. Unless you are making a LOT of pipes it is not a big deal in my opinion to switch between functions. With the right arbor attached to the motor shaft the various discs and buffs can be switched in seconds. I use 5 different buffs, three for the compounds, one for wax and one for a dry buff/polish if needed. All the wheels are the same size with leather centers. I have a tapered buffing mandrel for the motor shaft and the wheels spin on and off of it in the blink of an eye. This setup takes up less space and less expense than having a whole line of dedicated motors and a complex vacuum system that has outlets at every station. Sure it's convenient to have all your buffing wheels lined up on the same shaft or a whole row of motors going down a wall of your shop but is it really necessary for low volume work?
No belts, no pulleys, no muss, no fuss.
Chas.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

As a beginner with very similar goals I went with a 1/2hp Enclosed Grizzly motor, the Beall setup, and an arbor from Kurt that I can use to mount normal sanding disks (the Beall won't do that). It's working fantastic in my limited experience. I have a duct in the front I can attach to my Shop-vac, and I just spin it around a bit when I buff to get a comfortable angle.
Attachments
IMG_1903.jpeg
IMG_1903.jpeg (101.55 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
Mike