Big chuck on mini lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DeflictedPipes

Big chuck on mini lathe

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Is there a limit to the weight of the chuck I can put on a mini wood lathe? I have a 1/2hp lathe and I see nice chucks that weighs up to 12lbs, any potential problems with that matchup? The standard Oneway chuck is 4.5lbs, the Oneway Stronghold chucks are 8lbs, for reference.
Mike
LittleBill

Re: Big chuck on mini lathe

Post by LittleBill »

I've run a Stronghold on a mini lathe a number of times. The thing to remember is it is not going to speed up quickly or slow down quickly. The lathe will also have to work harder, so you will stall it out easier. Light cuts are in order, as well as sharp tools. That is always the case, but it becomes even more important now.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Thank you Bill, those are great points.

Has anyone seen the monster chuck that Tony Warner posted on instagram? Here's one of his posts showing it: http://instagram.com/p/nv2kjVCB-O/ Any opinions on that beast? It weighs 12lbs and is a little scary, but I may have a unique opportunity to get one. It almost seems like sacrilege to put it on a mini lathe...
Mike
Tyler
Site Supporter

Big chuck on mini lathe

Post by Tyler »

If you pass on it, I'd be interested in learning how I might be second in line for this "unique opportunity", provided it doesn't involve a crime. :D

I have a big lathe, for which this chuck would be perfect.

P.S. It probably would be a sacrilege for you to use it on your lathe. :)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

DeflictedPipes wrote:Thank you Bill, those are great points.

Has anyone seen the monster chuck that Tony Warner posted on instagram? Here's one of his posts showing it: http://instagram.com/p/nv2kjVCB-O/ Any opinions on that beast? It weighs 12lbs and is a little scary, but I may have a unique opportunity to get one. It almost seems like sacrilege to put it on a mini lathe...
I have one of those chucks. It is a collaboration between Grant Batson and Robert Cortner. I had mine made to either direct thread on my metal lathe spindle or to be held in a three jaw chuck. Robert has also made them with a Morse taper to insert directly into the spindle. Construction/workmanship is first class. Various pictures of mine in use can be seen on IG under redrockbriar.
I don't know how "mini" your lathe is but I would not recommend trying to use it on a small lathe especially if you are holding it in a three jaw. Holding it that way increases the overhang to a point where you won't have much in the way of tailstock travel. That is a lot of spinning mass and one must be very aware of it when using it just as you would with any big chuck. It is a hand buster if you don't pay attention.
Chas.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

oklahoma red wrote:I don't know how "mini" your lathe is but I would not recommend trying to use it on a small lathe especially if you are holding it in a three jaw. Holding it that way increases the overhang to a point where you won't have much in the way of tailstock travel.
My lathe is a 12" x 16". I was worried most about driving it, but space to work with is a consideration too.
Mike
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

DeflictedPipes wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:I don't know how "mini" your lathe is but I would not recommend trying to use it on a small lathe especially if you are holding it in a three jaw. Holding it that way increases the overhang to a point where you won't have much in the way of tailstock travel.
My lathe is a 12" x 16". I was worried most about driving it, but space to work with is a consideration too.
12" inch swing with only a 16" bed is a bid of an oddity. What is it? Got a pic?
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

oklahoma red wrote:12" inch swing with only a 16" bed is a bid of an oddity. What is it? Got a pic?
Rikon 70-100, this critter here: http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_70-100.htm It's a fairly popular "starter" lathe.
Mike
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

DeflictedPipes wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:12" inch swing with only a 16" bed is a bid of an oddity. What is it? Got a pic?
Rikon 70-100, this critter here: http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_70-100.htm It's a fairly popular "starter" lathe.
Ah so. I went back and read your first query. I had mini metal lathe in my head.
I'll stand by my recommendation to not put that chuck or anything similar to it on that small of a lathe. You might get away with it on a midi size but you would definitely want the Morse taper mount to reduce the extension from the headstock.
Chas.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

oklahoma red wrote:Ah so. I went back and read your first query. I had mini metal lathe in my head.
I'll stand by my recommendation to not put that chuck or anything similar to it on that small of a lathe. You might get away with it on a midi size but you would definitely want the Morse taper mount to reduce the extension from the headstock.
Chas.
Thank you Chas. I was a little skeptical about mounting that thing on my little lathe, but it just looks so cool! :D I could also see me slicing my hand open on those support posts that stick out when the jaws aren't completely closed. That could be a life changer.
Mike
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I have a chuck that is very similar, it was made to my design by a local tool maker. Having used it on both a metal and a wood lathe I would say that kind of design really is a metal lathe only kind of deal, it's a big spinning mass with a high risk factor and I would not want it spinning on a wood lathe to be used with hand chisels. Just my opinion though.
Also if possible I would really recommend having it direct thread for extra sturdiness and if you do use it with a morse taper under no accounts do that without a drawbar!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Also if possible I would really recommend having it direct thread for extra sturdiness and if you do use it with a morse taper under no accounts do that without a drawbar!
AMEN!
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Just for the record, I would not put a chuck of that size on a wood lathe using a Morse taper to drive it. Direct thread gets my vote too. But even then there is the excitement of spinning that thing at 1000-1500 rpm. :shock:
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Well I guess the only answer is to get the chuck and order a even bigger lathe. Where is that pic with the 16' bed. I am glad I'm not alone with needing more tools

Sent from my banana phone.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

E.L.Cooley wrote: I am glad I'm not alone with needing more tools.
Eric, if your anything like I am, or most here for that matter, you'll find that your always looking for the next best tool for an upgrade or looking to purchase a tool that you have read about that you think will work for something your trying to do.

I have a shop full of tools, some handy for many things, some for just that one operation. Of course, I am not just into pipe making as far as my tools go.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

smokindawg wrote:
E.L.Cooley wrote: I am glad I'm not alone with needing more tools.
Of course, I am not just into pipe making as far as my tools go.
My most recent tool purchase proves that. Shoot I'm not just into pipes either I've got a 1950 Nash in the garage too. On blocks nothing special.

Sent from my banana phone.
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

As you can tell from some of my posts I've had bad TAD Tool Acquisition Disorder. I sacrificed a chunk of my bourbon collection to tool up. I think I must surely have reached the end...right?
Mike
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

DeflictedPipes wrote:As you can tell from some of my posts I've had bad TAD Tool Acquisition Disorder. I sacrificed a chunk of my bourbon collection to tool up. I think I must surely have reached the end...right?
That's rough. I thought about selling a gun to buy some tools once, but I sat down with a stiff bourbon, and the feeling passed. :lol:
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

The worst part is that after I sold a Pappy 20 and 23, and bought a lower end wood lathe and a Taig, there are suddenly some nice old metal lathes listed on craigslist.
Mike
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Isn't that the truth. I just say it was for a good cause, cause I had to have it. :roll: