Lathes, wood working

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
socrates

Lathes, wood working

Post by socrates »

I have two Sherline metal lathes. Unfortunately it seems no one makes jaws for the Sherline 1076 four jaw chucks. I can use my three jaw chucks for stem work but would like an inexpensive wood lathe with four jaw that can be converted to two jaw. I must emphasize inexpensive as times are tough right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
sandahlpipe

Re: Lathes, wood working

Post by sandahlpipe »

I got well over $100 off on my Jet mini lathe from Rockler. I haven't had any limitations on it yet except my own inability. You may be able yo have smokingdawg (Steve) make you some jaws for what you have. Otherwise, if you can find a good deal on the Jet mini lathe. They are solid and work well for a moderately low amount of money. A discontinued model may help reduce the price for you as well.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

sandahlpipe wrote:I got well over $100 off on my Jet mini lathe from Rockler. I haven't had any limitations on it yet except my own inability. You may be able yo have smokingdawg (Steve) make you some jaws for what you have. Otherwise, if you can find a good deal on the Jet mini lathe. They are solid and work well for a moderately low amount of money. A discontinued model may help reduce the price for you as well.
Thanks! I will see if Woodcrafter will have a sale or something coming later this summer. They carry Jet brands.

LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

As an inexpensive alternative, you could drill on your Sherline right now. Instead of holding the stummel in a chuck, you could hold the drill bit in the chuck, and drill that way. Tyler did an excellent presentation of that technique at Premal's place in March. This technique has the added benefit of not having to worry about the swing of your lathe limiting your design, since the stummel will not be spinning.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Taig makes a milling attachment, A2Z tooling makes an adapter to mate it too the Sherline lathe.

Another option is find another non Sherline chuck that will fit the Sherline. The threads on the Sherline spindle are 3/4-16TPI, not sure on the chuck diameter capabilities for the Sherline lathes but Penn State Industries sells some reasonable priced chucks. They call this one a mini, just not sure if it is small enough to fit your lathe. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMG3C ... odpage=1CM

If the PSI chuck fits, you could replace the jaws with homemade wood jaws or homemade aluminum jaws to work for pipes. Myself I would spend the extra money and get the Taig mill attachment, the adapter and work with adjusting it to fit my needs.

on edit
Found the size of the PSI chuck, 3 1/4 outer diameter, will that fit the Sherline?
socrates

Post by socrates »

LittleBill wrote:As an inexpensive alternative, you could drill on your Sherline right now. Instead of holding the stummel in a chuck, you could hold the drill bit in the chuck, and drill that way. Tyler did an excellent presentation of that technique at Premal's place in March. This technique has the added benefit of not having to worry about the swing of your lathe limiting your design, since the stummel will not be spinning.
Thanks and thanks for the article. It was very enlightening. Now I certainly have an alternative.

socrates

Post by socrates »

dogcatcher wrote:Taig makes a milling attachment, A2Z tooling makes an adapter to mate it too the Sherline lathe.

Another option is find another non Sherline chuck that will fit the Sherline. The threads on the Sherline spindle are 3/4-16TPI, not sure on the chuck diameter capabilities for the Sherline lathes but Penn State Industries sells some reasonable priced chucks. They call this one a mini, just not sure if it is small enough to fit your lathe. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMG3C ... odpage=1CM

If the PSI chuck fits, you could replace the jaws with homemade wood jaws or homemade aluminum jaws to work for pipes. Myself I would spend the extra money and get the Taig mill attachment, the adapter and work with adjusting it to fit my needs.

on edit
Found the size of the PSI chuck, 3 1/4 outer diameter, will that fit the Sherline?
Thanks for the info. I'll pull out my Penn State catalog and check it out.

socrates

Post by socrates »

Thanks all for your information. I now have the knowledge to move forward.

E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

sandahlpipe wrote:I got well over $100 off on my Jet mini lathe from Rockler. I haven't had any limitations on it yet except my own inability. You may be able yo have smokingdawg (Steve) make you some jaws for what you have. Otherwise, if you can find a good deal on the Jet mini lathe. They are solid and work well for a moderately low amount of money. A discontinued model may help reduce the price for you as well.
Shameless plug... If Steve is done riding his bike. I would definitely talk to him about what you have. He makes a great set of jaws at a great price. I've heard he can make them for what ever you've got. That would be a much better price point than another lathe. Sometimes Steve gets pulled away on business so if you don't get an immediate response from don't worry. Here I'll go find his email.

Sent from my banana phone.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

viewtopic.php?t=5934#p82192

E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Steve smokingdawg posted his email in that thread. There also are a number of pics of the two jaw set he makes throughout the thread. Note how many folks on here have picked them up and are happy with them. And I think that thread started in 2011? Great guy.