Sharpening tools

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Sharpening tools

Post by jogilli »

Well long story short... I'm finally looking into buying a wet/dry sharpening machine.... Now given I live in Germany so it has to be bought here.. 220v and the Hz must match.. But. Scheppach and tormek are the two main machines I'm looking at.. Huge price difference...

I've been using my slack belt sander to sharpen tools almost forever, I have Japanese sharpening stones but they take too much time... They hold an edge but I want them sharper.. And for longer than I currently get ... Seeing Chris' set up put the bug in me.. Super sharp in a few seconds and much truer angles than my manual methods... So what are your ideas...

I will be sharpening shaped hss blanks, turning tools and other cutting tools I've made... So return on investment is key, along with shaper tools

James
caskwith

Re: Sharpening tools

Post by caskwith »

Second hand tormek/jet/scheppach with a 1000 grit Japanese water stone from Dictum. Flat table accessory to fit the wetstone and a small bench grinder for the rough shaping. I am sure I saw this setup somewhere, oh yeah, my workshop :D
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Ebay it is then... Same thought I was having.. Thanks chris
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I really like the Ez-Lap diamond hones for touching up the edges. Not a replacement for a Tormek, but a good addition to it. I just have a cheap grinder for now with the hones and it does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

I've tried diamond hones, my slack sander and a japanese stone, but the best result for me personally is my 220 grit beltsander (weird!) so far. A tormek is about nr 5 on my list of tools still to get, they are just way overpriced here in Cape Town.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Thanks.. Impatience got the best of me... Or better yet... Too much research on my part.. I went ahead and got the tormek on ebay.... Got a really good deal.. Just below prices in the US so no issues...

James