The KC show contest entries have started to arrive

Discussions about pipe shows, pipe seminars, tobacco shows, trade shows, etc. All sizes, shapes, and countries.
LatakiaLover

The KC show contest entries have started to arrive

Post by LatakiaLover »

Each day adds to the box pile on the dining room table of Quinton Wells, the contest director. He said the rate of deliveries is faster than previous years, and he expects the total number of entries to exceed any previous contest.

How cool is that? :D :D :D

With three weeks remaining, you still have time to complete a pipe and get it in the mail (or UPS).

Remember that ONLY the one, specific pipe you enter counts. They are all judged solely on their own merit, and the process is blind---nomenclature is covered (shape & location permitting), and deliberately ignored when it can't be. This "BBQ and chili contest" style of judging (if you've ever seen a cooking contest, you know what I mean) absolutely DOES work as intended. Every year has seen marquee-name carvers not make the set, and several lesser-known and outright unknown carvers whose work did.

In short, reputation means nothing. Someone's first-ever pipe could conceivably win.

This year will also see the start of Honorable Mention awards, so that entrants no longer have to wonder if they barely missed making the cut or not. (Something I'd definitely want to know if I was competing.)

I try to visit this board every day, so feel free to ask questions or for clarification about anything.

Good luck to all, and I hope to meet you in KC. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Re: The KC show contest entries have started to arrive

Post by Ocelot55 »

It is still my intention to enter, although I've made two Dublins now that were just too embarrassing to put out there. I've got one more block planned out for it. This might be my last chance.
the rev

Post by the rev »

if you just happened to finish yours really late... can you express mail it to arrive the last day?

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

As long as Quinton has it on Friday you are good. I don't know the specific time on Friday, but that's the deadline.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

the rev wrote:if you just happened to finish yours really late... can you express mail it to arrive the last day?

rev
The judging is early evening Friday, so theoretically if someone walked up with an entry as we were closing the door to the judging room and put it in our hands, we'd accept it.

No mail/FedEx/UPS carrier would do that, though. Also, I don't know the time of day that will be Quinton's final check at his house, or how late into the day those delivery guys work.

MUCH better not to cut it that close. Thursday, you're golden. Friday there's no guarantee unless it's hand carried.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

My entry arrived last week. Have I lost yet? :lol:

I'm looking forward to hearing all about the judging and the pipes and am really looking forward to seeing everyone's work in P&T!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I'm working on mine right now!! Almost down to the dreaded button crease..... After that I'm gonna blast it and give Quinton a call. Its coming along okay. I might get it finished tonight and decide to start another one :lol: ....we'll see how it goes.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

So, I started another pipe for the contest today. I haven't been happy with anything that I have gotten to the finishing stage. I was really digging how things were coming together and then I found a huge flaw that runs from the bottom of the chamber through to the outside of the bowl :banghead: . Air passes through it like all get out. So I brought it inside to show my husband and he says "bring me the (LED) flashlight and let's see if any light is getting through." I just stood back and smiled as he blinded himself :lol: Needless to say I'm starting over....again.

Jesse.....race ya to the judging table on that Friday night!! :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

You obviously aren't training your briar to behave, Scottie. Like a dog, it takes effort and consistency. A casual approach almost never works.

I'm pretty sure Rad sells little training-taming kits. Tiny bullwhip, little chair, and so forth. $14.95, if I remember right.

(Squatchy just threatens to turn his blocks into sawdust with a pinch, of course, but that's a special case.)
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

LatakiaLover wrote:I'm pretty sure Rad sells little training-taming kits. Tiny bullwhip, little chair, and so forth. $14.95, if I remember right.
What? No leather thong and ball gag?

Or is that in the deluxe kit?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I already have those :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Pictures Please!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

pipedreamer wrote:Pictures Please!
of the pipes or Scotties......uhh....toys :twisted:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Wellllll....the pictures of the toys are locked in a drawer for no one to see :lol:

The pictures of the pipes I can't post because George is a judge and I would hate to sway him with my awesomeness :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

I gotta admit that I forgot all about this. If I can somehow get Saturday free I will make one and send it in. I'm not part of the cool kids club but I have a heck of a nice block on the shelf and pride in my pipes... so what's to lose ;)
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

I was convinced I was gonna get one done. I had a Dublin/horn shaped stummel but it didn't turn out the way I wanted so im bowing out. goodluck to all the entries. im sure George will be happy to take your bribes
-evan