New Web Site

Got a pipe you want to offer for sale? Post it here. This is not meant to be an eBay replacement or a full-blown retail outlet and there are no limits for now, but please be kind to the host. Please note, this is not for showing off your pipes and getting critique - so only post pipes here that you think are ready for sale.
taharris

New Web Site

Post by taharris »

I now have a web site and several pipes for sale.

Please take a look:

http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd

Thanks,

Todd
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: New Web Site

Post by TRS »

Stemel? :?

Otherwise a nice looking site; easy to navigate.
taharris

Post by taharris »

:oops: ...thanks... :oops:
billiard

Post by billiard »

Todd,

Nice site and nice pipes on it. Good stuff sir!

One comment, I saw this when you first posted it and I went to have a look, but no go, as it is all in flash and I was on my iPad. It appears that any mobile device gets redirected to Wix's mobile site and either you have not built that side or it is not flash enabled which would mean iPad's, iPhones, and any other devices that do not do flash can't access it.

I figure if I surf pipe sites in the eve on a iOS device some of your potential customers may be too. So's I figured I should tell ya.

Thanks,
Billiard
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thanks Billiard.

I'm pretty new to building web pages so I had no idea that this could even be an issue. Come to think of it I think I saw something on Wix.com about mobile web pages. Now I know what they were talking about!

Todd
Massis

Post by Massis »

Rule number 1 of building websites: Do NOT use flash.
Rule number 2 of building websites: If you really have to use flash, use it as little as possible.
Rule number 3 of building websites: Really, do not use flash!

If you're wondering why:
1) your back button doesn't work in flash
2) search engines don't work on your flash websites => people can't find you through google/yahoo/...
3) it requires too much bandwith. (even though nowadays this isn't really a problem anymore)
4) it doesn't work on Iphones, Ipads, basic web phones, ...

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good! Solid design and easy to navigate.

I'd say try rebuilding it exactly the same, but without flash (and the flash animations), and you'll have a great website!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well said Massis! Flash and I have been at odds for several years. It's halfway decent for games (not really) but for content it causes much heartburn.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So far I have spent at total of $0 on this web site, so it has turned out to be a very inexpensive lesson.

I will look into other providers that do not use flash.

Todd