New pipe from a starving artist

Got a pipe you want to offer for sale? Post it here. This is not meant to be an eBay replacement or a full-blown retail outlet and there are no limits for now, but please be kind to the host. Please note, this is not for showing off your pipes and getting critique - so only post pipes here that you think are ready for sale.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

http://handmade-briar-usa.com/stories/F ... tory-8.htm

We could Really help mike out if say 15 of us went in together and purchased this pipe. I'm willing to offer up $1000 of my own cash if you guys are willing to do the same. What do you say? Kurt? Rad? Todd? Trevor? Let's give back to a guy that gave us so much...
Massis

Re: New pipe from a starving artist

Post by Massis »

fuchi_jeg wrote:http://handmade-briar-usa.com/stories/F ... tory-8.htm

We could Really help mike out if say 15 of us went in together and purchased this pipe. I'm willing to offer up $1000 of my own cash if you guys are willing to do the same. What do you say? Kurt? Rad? Todd? Trevor? Let's give back to a guy that gave us so much...
It took me a while before I realised I knew that layout from somewhere... I only realised what website it was when I saw the gems in the plateaux wood :lol:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I can remember the Fukushima disaster without buying that pipe.

Mike is a marketing genius! He's raised prices significantly on all of his unsold pipes! It's like a reverse sale!

I bet none of you guys woulda thought of that!

Rad
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Oh, man, that was hilarious.

I am not worth a shit as a carver, I know I won't sell pipes and am not looking to sell pipes. Hell, I am looking to have fun, learn, experiment and am, actually, saving tons of money making pipes because I am not BUYING as many as I would otherwise buy!

But the bit about the Bic lighters really got me. I wonder, does he know there ARE refillable, inexpensive pipe lighters available, just not as inexpensive as the cheapo, bottom rung Bics? And the reason they are so inexpensive is because they are not refillable, etc., etc.

I wonder, is he using the Bic lighters as some sort of marketing idea to try to convince people to buy his incredibly, unbelievably, bizarrely over priced pipes? What, his will last longer? Will they degrade into the environment faster if dropped from a car window?

Ah, well, it was a fun read. Thanks.

Seriously, I hope no one takes this personally, but it was really a bizarre and funny read.

Oh, one other point. If he decries the cheap, throw away consumerism which he seems to state is so rampant, why would he have purchased Bic lighters himself?

Just asking.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Oh, one other point. If he decries the cheap, throw away consumerism which he seems to state is so rampant, why would he have purchased Bic lighters himself?
The man is a mystery, even to himself....
Or he's just so full of shit he couldn't control it if he wanted to.
The first picture I looked at was Tokutumis pipe, and I thought "Wow Mike can make a pretty damn good pipe if he wants to". Then I realized his was the jewel encrusted thing above it.... If he would ask like $100 I'm sure he could sell a few of those damn things.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Alden wrote:
The man is a mystery, even to himself....
Or he's just so full of shit he couldn't control it if he wanted to.
The first picture I looked at was Tokutumis pipe, and I thought "Wow Mike can make a pretty damn good pipe if he wants to". Then I realized his was the jewel encrusted thing above it.... If he would ask like $100 I'm sure he could sell a few of those damn things.
Takes all kinds, no 'bout adout that. I read through numerous of his threads here and they were bizarrely funny. Clearly, he believes that if he sells just one, then he will be on his way. He will have flown over the path which Rad stated was the one true path to becoming known.

Fat chance. I wonder what the jewel obsession is all about? Weird.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Fifteen THOUSAND dollars for that pipe? I'm sorry, but that pipe still looks like a new carver made it, and you can't hide that by subjecting the thing to a Bedazzler and pricing it at the yearly take home pay of a minimum wage worker....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

I don't get the bedazzling.

He just put cheap manmade rubies ("more perfect than most natural stones" and like $20.00 cheaper/carat - he has like <$15.00 of rubies...) and like <$5.00 worth of cheap garnet...

Plus the shaping isn't anything great, I would actually venture to say it is sub-par.

And the stem needs to be bent too.

$15,000? No way. More like $115.00 TOPS...I sincerely hope nobody pays for that.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
JMG

Post by JMG »

Surely, this guy has to be doing this for a laugh.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Outside of unmitigated and pharmaceutical grade arrogance, that's really the only explanation.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I'd love to have a few beers with the guy. I'd probably end up starting a bar/gun fight just so I could use him as a human shield, but I'm certain it would be entertaining for a few minutes.

Micah
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

C'mon guys, no sense piling on a guy who isn't here to defend himself.

I get it, he asks for it. Still.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I think I'd rather talk about unattractive pipe socks than this... ugh (involuntary shiver) I think its time to leave the man in peace.
(edit)
"This" being the general topic of "picking on Mike". Don't want to go back to that,.hence, involuntary shiver.
Last edited by andrew on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Or we could talk about Tyler's socks, or Rad's if Tyler is feeling sensitive about his socks....
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

You're right, of course, Tyler, and I respect the good example you always set. I suspect this sort of thing will come up every so often. As new guys join the forum and start digging around, they're bound to find one or two of the many threads that devolved into complete train wrecks as a result of Mike's specialness.

We should establish a forum anti conflict code of conduct:

1. Ignore Mike.
2. Sand your chambers.
3. Don't ask which side is the front and which side is the back.
4. Disregard all comments made by Canadians who name themselves cryptozoologically.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Well, apparently rule number 1 is off the table, as I just received a PM from Mr. Messer adding a fifth rule stating we should also forget me. For those that haven't dealt with Mike, if you don't want antagonistic PMs, refrain from mentioning him in any context. For those that like an extra dose of drama and aggravation with every online interaction, game on, I suppose.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Mike Messer.

(what? I like antagonistic pm's!)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tyler wrote:C'mon guys, no sense piling on a guy who isn't here to defend himself.

He apparently is still here. I thought I nuked that account, but somehow it remains.

While I am not a fan of insult, I think it is important from time to time to show the folly of others as a learning experience. Unfortunately, when that happens, it always seems to be a unique handful of individuals that are used as the example...
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Corsican Briar Rocks!!!!!
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Tyler wrote:C'mon guys, no sense piling on a guy who isn't here to defend himself.

He apparently is still here. I thought I nuked that account, but somehow it remains.

While I am not a fan of insult, I think it is important from time to time to show the folly of others as a learning experience. Unfortunately, when that happens, it always seems to be a unique handful of individuals that are used as the example...
One can learn from any source. Was that Zen like?