My pipes for sale.

Got a pipe you want to offer for sale? Post it here. This is not meant to be an eBay replacement or a full-blown retail outlet and there are no limits for now, but please be kind to the host. Please note, this is not for showing off your pipes and getting critique - so only post pipes here that you think are ready for sale.
jWESTFOO

Re: My pipes for sale.

Post by jWESTFOO »

Some great looking pipes. Where can I get more info on them?
Evyn

Post by Evyn »

Did you make the meander-patterned bands yourself?
devilshornpipe

Post by devilshornpipe »

Are we not allowed to post "asking prices"for pipes for sale? I'd be interested in seeing what quality custom pipes are fetching on the market these days. Have no idea, having just reentered the pursuit after a 45-year layoff. Suggested price range?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Artisan pipe prices are like fine art: as long a the work is good, the maker's reputation/fame is what determines its value.

Another way to put it: You could buy an unsmoked Lars Ivarsson from a collector who secretly acquired it directly from Lars' workshop---meaning it was never seen by the public, inside the hobby or out---and re-finish it to Lars' standard after erasing his nomenclature and replacing it with your own, and you MIGHT be able to sell it for $500.

Getting known is the hard part. Most unknown carvers are happy to get "minimum wage + materials" early on.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
n80

Post by n80 »

There are a number of pipe makers that sell pipes on the Pipe Smokers Den website. You can go there and see what pipes are selling for. It seems to me that most of the guys selling there are under $500 with some in the $150 range.

https://pipesmokersdens.com/
Adui

Post by Adui »

n80 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:45 pm There are a number of pipe makers that sell pipes on the Pipe Smokers Den website. You can go there and see what pipes are selling for. It seems to me that most of the guys selling there are under $500 with some in the $150 range.

https://pipesmokersdens.com/
Thats where I intend to sell. But I must first make more sellable pipes!
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There's market for .... everything. Everything from total junk "this is my third pipe ever" to "this is the greatest pipe ever made". And it's a big triangle, with a million guys at the bottom, selling 100 dollar "well it's pretty shiny" hobby grade pipes. There's a few guys like me who make simple, good quality pipes and get between 2 and 400 for them. There's another tier or two above that, and then the super-duper grade pipes where you are looking at 1500 dollar entry points, but the point is, NO one starts there, you can't. A) you need a reputation and B) the skills just aren't an overnight thing. So a guy like Mycah Cryder, the SMokinYeti on this board, he started here, worked hard, talked to all of us, and developed a skillset and a style, over a period of... 5 or 8 years, and now he's an absolutely astonishing pipe maker, and yet he still doesn't get ultra-top tier money because he hasn't done this for 40 years.

Make pipes, talk to other pipe makers about a price point, see if you can get your money back out and do it again. Look hard at your own work, compare it as you can to more established brands or carvers, and ask "Why the fuck would anyone buy this from me?" Is it cuz you are pretty? Or the pipe is great? It better be the latter.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Well said Sas. Micah is a phenomenal carver. I’m super excited to see where he goes in the future. There are a lot of mind blowing, younger talent emerging. Abe Herbaugh and Dustin Franc are 2 that have really caught my eye. Man, I wish I would have started doing this when I was younger... :(