blakens

Tell us who you are.
Blakens

blakens

Post by Blakens »

Years a pipe smoker:
I wouldn't call myself a pipe smoker. I used to smoke a few times a year, but the wife isn't a fan so I limit it to special occasions.
How you got into pipe making:
A friend brought his grandfather's old free hand to the fraternity house. A few of my friends had pipes at the time, but this one captivated me. I thought "how hard could it be to make a pipe." So I got some cherry and a surplus lot of stems from ebay and made my first two pipes (so far my only post in the gallery). They smoked pretty terribly and they looked worse, but I didn't care. I was proud of what I made and wanted to make more.
After I made those, I quickly learned I was going to need some experienced help if I wanted to get any better and found this forum. I've made 5 pipes since my first and gave them as gifts to my groomsmen. Some turned out great (I think), smoked well, and others were meh at best, but the guys appreciated them. I'm trying to find pictures to get some feedback from more experienced makers, but unfortunately that was 2 years ago and I'm having a hard time getting pictures.
Now I want to get back into it as a hobby that might make just enough money to support itself, but first I think I need to get a little better at it.
Other interesting facts:
I am a bit of a dilettante. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. I tend to know just enough about any one thing to be dangerous at it.
I'm starting to video a lot of my projects and posting them on my YouTube channel. I will be posting videos of my pipes as well.
I usually would rather make something by hand, myself and it end up being more expensive and not work as well than buying something off the shelf.
I'm getting into kayak fishing in and around the Savannah. If you ever need a fishing partner, let me know.
I also have a wordy tendency to make a post a lot longer than it needs to be.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

"I've cut this board three times and it's still too short!"
BriarShrink

Re: blakens

Post by BriarShrink »

I'm in Atlanta and my folks live in Augusta. Nice to meet you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service