Crow94

Tell us who you are.
Crow94

Crow94

Post by Crow94 »

Real name
Matthew Johns, but everyone calls me Crow, including the owner of the shop I work at. Crow Johns on FB for those interested, just drop me a line first if you send a friend request or I won’t accept it

La Fayette, GA (about 40 minutes south of Chattanooga where my local B&M is)

Years a pipe smoker
About a year, give or take

How you got into pipe making
I grew up in a family of tradesmen, so working with my hands is in my blood and I’m always looking for new projects to get into. I can’t really draw a line from when I bought my first pipe, some cheap fujima I snagged at a generic smoke shop that’s almost certainly made of rosewood, and the moment I wanted to make my own.

It was probably a combination of seeing the beauty of a high end pipe and the price tag, partially “I can’t afford a $500 pipe but I can learn to make them” (and spend thousands on tools and materials in the process :lol: ) and “I can potentially make a good bit of money making pipes in my downtime”.

Regardless, I fell down the rabbit hole and ended up here :)

Other interesting facts
I’m a cabinetmaker by trade. I’m also a circus sideshow performer, fire performer, ballroom dancer and liquid light show artist. I would definitely consider myself a jack of all trades and I sink my heels into everything I get into

Glad to be a part of this community, I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can about this art form and sharing my progress. And maybe I’ll catch some of you at the Muletown Pipe Show next year