Camaraderie

Tell us who you are.
Camaraderie

Camaraderie

Post by Camaraderie »

I'm just signing up because I Tyler told me that this month is free-lathe-on-signup-month

Years a pipe smoker: 3 or so

How you got into pipe making:
Started by making my first one two summers ago. I don't remember exactly why but it probably has to do with being a chronic hobbyist. Pipe making is a great hobby for me because when I look for a hobby, I mainly look for something that isn't difficult to get into at its least refined level but is near impossible to achieve mastery. I have noticed the artisanal nature of pipe making is somewhat like this. I was able to make a couple pipes with a little dedication and research, but I know I can make 1000 more and still have something to learn.

Other hobbies that have stolen my love:
Wheel pottery, photography, video editing/filmmaking, (I'd love for blacksmithing to be on this list but I don't have the tools).
I just created a photography portfolio website (unfinished): http://www.camaratagraphy.com

Other interesting facts:
I am a medical student hoping one day to become a surgeon. If I don't lose my fingers in the next few years, that is...

Thanks for listening! Now who can help me find a lathe on a budget around here?

Edit: I'll post the first 3 pipes I made, but no laughing.
Tools I own: Dremel, hand drill, various drill bits but no rounded bit, files, sandpaper, buffing wheel for drill, polishing compounds, carnauba wax
Materials used: Vulcanite stems, briar wood from Alexander Zavvo ( RIP :( )
Education: hundreds of youtube videos over 2 years probably posted by you all!

Pipe 1
Pipe 2
Pipe 3
pipedreamer

Re: Camaraderie

Post by pipedreamer »

Welcome to the Forum! Similar to surgery. The more you cut, the better you get. Briar can die in the wrong hands. Read all subject matter and be safe! :thumbsup:
Camaraderie

Post by Camaraderie »

Ha so far my briar has all suffered serious post-surgical complications under my hands.

Pipe 1: shank cracked after smoking a few times b/c stem too tight
Pipe 2: shank cracked before finishing because stem too tight
Pipe 3: tenon is slightly undersized so stem is too loose (how can I actually fix this, I've read beeswax?)

Also, I follow several of y'all on Instagram. I've noticed at least a couple from Kansas City. Hopefully I can learn from the few of you down the line! Lastly, this week I am very much regretting my move from Chicago last year :banghead:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, well just know that everyone left me here in KC this weekend too. I encourage you to make it to the next GKCPC meeting on May 21st at Cigar & Tobac in Overland Park. It's a great time for sure. You can also start looking forward to the KC show in June at the Argosy.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Camaraderie

Post by Camaraderie »

scotties22 wrote:I encourage you to make it to the next GKCPC meeting on May 21st at Cigar & Tobac in Overland Park. It's a great time for sure. You can also start looking forward to the KC show in June at the Argosy.
Thank you, sounds great. We finish up in the next couple weeks with school so I should be able to make it.