Paul G from IL

Tell us who you are.
paulieg

Paul G from IL

Post by paulieg »

Years a pipe smoker: 5
How you got into pipe making: I'm extremely unhandy and thought my dad (who used to be a pipe smoker) would be impressed if I made him a pipe. Guess you could say that as an adult I was still looking to impress my pops. I've only made a couple pipes and gifted them all to friends. No intention of trying to sell my creations any time in the near future, if ever. Just enjoy the process and hope to keep one for myself eventually. As of now, only tools I use are a hand saw, Dremel, sand paper and a buffing wheel. Hoping to expand to belt sander and lathe in the future, but for now I'll stick with kits and premolded stems.
Other interesting facts: I'm not that interesting. I will admit, I'll lurk more than post. I'm more of a cigar smoker so am pretty active on a few cigar forums. I own a personal training management company, so if any of you guys need fitness/health advice don't be afraid to message me. Majority of my time is spent at work or hanging out with my little boy (will be 2 this summer).

Thanks for having me guys, already have learned a ton just be reading and being a dry sponge. Met a couple of you at the Chicago Pipe Show.
sandahlpipe

Re: Paul G from IL

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum!
paulieg wrote:Real name: Paul
Years a pipe smoker: 5
How you got into pipe making: I'm extremely unhandy and thought my dad (who used to be a pipe smoker) would be impressed if I made him a pipe. Guess you could say that as an adult I was still looking to impress my pops. I've only made a couple pipes and gifted them all to friends. No intention of trying to sell my creations any time in the near future, if ever. Just enjoy the process and hope to keep one for myself eventually. As of now, only tools I use are a hand saw, Dremel, sand paper and a buffing wheel. Hoping to expand to belt sander and lathe in the future, but for now I'll stick with kits and premolded stems.
Other interesting facts: I'm not that interesting. I will admit, I'll lurk more than post. I'm more of a cigar smoker so am pretty active on a few cigar forums. I own a personal training management company, so if any of you guys need fitness/health advice don't be afraid to message me. Majority of my time is spent at work or hanging out with my little boy (will be 2 this summer).

Thanks for having me guys, already have learned a ton just be reading and being a dry sponge. Met a couple of you at the Chicago Pipe Show.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Welcome to the Forum!
weedsnager

Post by weedsnager »

You mentioned a belt sander, I've been using this one from harbor freight with good success

http://t.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in ... gle.com%2F
paulieg

Post by paulieg »

weedsnager wrote:You mentioned a belt sander, I've been using this one from harbor freight with good success

http://t.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in ... gle.com%2F
Thanks for the tip! (That's what she said....)

I'll check that one out! Price is right too!! Do you switch between different grit belts?
weedsnager

Post by weedsnager »

Yes I use anywhere between 60-120. Get a 20% off coupon for harbor freight also
dennisp42

Post by dennisp42 »

I bought the same sander a couple weeks ago. It was on sale for $36. I used it to make my first pipe kit. It works well.
Dennis
Dennis Perez
Seffner, FL
dennisp42

Post by dennisp42 »

I bought the same sander a couple weeks ago. It was on sale for $36. I used it to make my first pipe kit. It works well.
Dennis
Dennis Perez
Seffner, FL
paulieg

Post by paulieg »

I'll probably buy it tomorrow. 25% off for mother's day. Lol
weedsnager

Post by weedsnager »

paulieg wrote:I'll probably buy it tomorrow. 25% off for mother's day. Lol

Forgot all about the 25% Mother's Day coupon ! Good deal
dennisp42

Post by dennisp42 »

Did you remove the platten from behind the belt or leave it on? I haven't taken a good look yet, but it would probably make smoother curves with it off. I'll have to check to see if it will still work with it off.
Dennis
Dennis Perez
Seffner, FL
paulieg

Post by paulieg »

Just ordered. Didn't order any extra belts though. Will pick those up in store next week sometime.
dennisp42

Post by dennisp42 »

I was able to get mine in the store and was able to pick up a couple packs of belts at the same time. Good luck with it. The local Woodcraft had a Ryobi on sale for $99 a few weeks ago. I almost bought it but decided I'd try this one since I'm not sure how much I will be using it. I'm getting ready to another pipe kit.

Dennis
Dennis Perez
Seffner, FL