It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: jackair
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:37 pm 

Jack Hughes

Years a pipe smoker:
~2

How you got into pipe making:
I lost my very first pipe and tore my house apart trying to find it. I'm afraid my wife "put it away" - meaning she put it out of sight and forgot where (how most things get lost). Regardless, I just moved into a home with a driveway that makes my two-car garage pretty hairy for cars and so I convinced my little lady to let me use it as a workshop. Father's day is coming up and my father-in-law who got me into pipe-smoking suffered the same calamity I did and my brother-in-law has been curious about pipe-smoking (and he's a soon to be father) so I though three brand new pipes would be perfect for us all.

Other interesting facts:
I started into woodworking with making longbows. I'm not sure how I came onto the subject, but I have always been fascinated with how things are traditionally (or untraditionally) made. I also like to research and stalk a new craft to death before I attempt it (though I always wish I knew more by the time I'm done attempting it).

I've always been a creative type - no, not necessarily the air-headed artist - I always have found meaning in creating. Working with my hands is just one way I enjoy fulfilling that need. I'm actually a mobile software developer by trade, but that was just a way I discovered to apply my drive to create, and also pay the bills. Getting home after working on the computer and problem solving all day gives a special relaxation and pleasure to sitting in my chair over my work table and carving away at a piece of wood. I started making longbows with zero power tools. Just a rasp, a file, and some sandpaper. Time spent on a project - failed or successful - always seems to feel well spent.