Hello all

Tell us who you are.
Macbean

Hello all

Post by Macbean »

Hello all. . .

Thank you for allowing me to join your group. Here are some basics:

Years a pipe smoker: 50+
How you got into pipe making: I've been working a wood lathe for about 20 years and smoking a pipe for so long, it finally occurred to me to combine the two. Outside of trying a few techniques to line up the tobacco hole and the draft hole or trial pieces of wood, I have done nothing.
Other interesting facts: Don't know how interesting it is, but I've been occupying myself for the past couple of years building mandolins.
sandahlpipe

Re: Hello all

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome! I really enjoy seeing handmade instruments. If you can post some pictures of the mandolins, I'd enjoy seeing them.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Welcome Sir!!! Glad you joined...
Macbean

Post by Macbean »

Thank you for your welcome. Jeremiah, I'll gladly post photos of my mandolins as soon as I can figure out how to do it. Truly, I'm technologically inept. . .
Michael
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome Michael.
I'm glad to see someone else in the senior group getting into this hobby/business/obsession.
You will have an advantage with your lathe knowledge, and your mandolin making. I purchase a number of tools and stains from a luthier supply company -Stewart-MacDonald which you may know.
Looking forward to seeing your work.
Please PM me if you think I can help. I am a bit of an anomaly on this board. I made pipes in the 60s and 70s, gave it up for 40+ years, and restarted after retirement this past December.
Because I am relearning old techniques and learning new stuff, some of my learning experiences are pretty fresh (and painful :shock: ).
DocAitch aka Walt Hettinger
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy