AdamCordray

Tell us who you are.
AdamCordray

AdamCordray

Post by AdamCordray »

Years a pipe smoker: 1
How you got into pipe making:
Other interesting facts: Originally from Terre Haute, now living in the Northwest Region of Indiana. I'm a physician in residency, so my hours are a major limitation at this point. As my career progresses I anticipate having a schedule alternating work and time off on a regular basis. My interest in fine tobaccos grew from the cigar environment and only recently began smoking pipes. Visited the Chicago Pipe Show last weekend and I'm interested in learning more about the art of pipe carving. I have no specific skill set that makes me particularly well equipped to undertake this project at present, however I am teachable. You may now hear much from me as I plan to first spend some time reading the archives and building a solid knowledge base. Even so, I'm interested in starting off with a quality kit, so that may be unfolding in the near future. I look forward to being a part of this forum, thanks for welcoming me here.

Adam Cordray
sandahlpipe

Re: AdamCordray

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum! You're probably already aware of Steve Norse if you were at he show, but he's got all the basics for tooling and materials that you could ever wish for.

Skills are easily learned with the right attitude and when you're willing to get your hands dirty. If you have a chance to hang out and watch a professional make a pipe, or have them help you make a pipe, you'll learn a lot faster than by reading and trying it on your own.

But mainly, I hope you have fun making pipes! It's a very addicting hobby.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Welcome to the Forum...
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Welcome! How'd you like Chicago?
AdamCordray

Post by AdamCordray »

The Chicago show was great! Being relatively new to pipes, I took the opportunity to ask some questions and get to know the people in the industry a little better. Looked around at all the pipes, and even brought a new piece home with me. Plenty of samples to go around, try new things. I just wish I had more time to spend there. I was only there one day. Definitely planning to try to block out some more time next year.

Adam
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Welcome!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome!
I am also a physician, but at the other end of my career, I retired in July 2015.
I was involved in the industry while in college and med school from 1969-~1979. I found I didn't have the time to continue later in residency and my workshop was lost when the store where I worked was sold.
After retiring, I purchased a small lathe and drill press and went back to work on pipes. There are many more pipe makers in existence now, and the level of workmanship is exponentially higher than that of the 1970s.
Looking forward to seeing your work.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I retired from 30 yrs of Nursing. Have been making pipes for over 50 yrs and Doc is right , some techniques are vastly improved. I pretty much was taught the new school and make a lot of 9mm pipes only of high quality materials. Welcome to a wonderful world of many, varied techniques. :thumbsup:
terryR

Post by terryR »

wow, another retired RN here; 25 years in Open Heart ICU. It's a small world! :)

Welcome, Adam. Cannot imagine how you find shop time while in residency. Best of luck!
-tr
see one, do one, teach one